Subclinical Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've had subclinical hyperthyroidism for about 3 years. Has anyone suffered insomnia along with this disease?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bruce.I have had hyperthyroid problems for the past three to four years.I have had atrial fibrillation which has caused anxiety leading to sleepless nights.Maybe this is the same for you.I now take tablets to help me to sleep which has improved my mood during the day.Hope this helps and that you can find a solution to your insomnia.Regards Nonita
  • Posted

Hi Bruce, I am tempted to say: Welcome to the club. Unfortunately, sleep disorders are a common symptom with hyperthyroid and borderline hyperthyroid patients. The TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level follows a daily rhythm (circadian cycle) with the maximum occurring around 3am and the minimum around 3pm. The TSH level correlates with the thyroxine level which means that symptoms like sleeplessness, palpitations, elevated heart rate, and sweating might be more intense during the night. 

• Posted

Thanks Dan,

I have subclinical hyperthyroidism and I not sure what the difference is between the two of them. If you have any advice I would love to know

• Posted

Subclinical hyperthyroidism means that your TSH is below the reference range while your thyroid hormone levels (T4 and T3) are within normal (high) range. Overt hyperthyroidism is characterised by a suppressed TSH level and clearly raised thyroid hormone levels. I will send you a private message containing a link to an article called Management of Subclinical Hyperthyroidism. 
    • Posted

Thanks Dan, I got your private message as well. 

A lot to take in!!

• Posted

Hi Dan,

Is there a difference between Graves' disease and subclinical hyperthyroidism or hyperthyroidism? 

I thought if you had either of the above then you were classed as having graves?

• Posted

Hi Bruce, there is a difference. Hyperthyroidism (including subclinical hyperthyroidism) is a symptom and not a diagnosis. To use an example that is more familiar, it is like having a fever. A fever can be caused by many different diseases. 

Similarly, hyperthyroidism can be caused by many different disorders, for example, thyroid nodules, an infection of the thyroid, Graves' disease, a problem with your pituitary gland, etc. It is the job of your endocrinologist to make a diagnosis by finding out what specifically is causing your hyperthyroidism and to treat you accordingly.

Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder characterised by the presence of TSH receptor antibodies. These antibodies can cause problems by stimulating your thyroid in an uncontrolled manner. The antibodies may also cause thyroid eye disease in some patients. 

• Posted

Hi. I'm Stephanie I found out 4 months ago that I have thyroid problem. Two months later it was confirmed that it's overactive thyroid but have not been on any medication since then. Recently I become illwith flu but ever since I kept having nausea feeling. Is this ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.