Subclinical symptoms ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys new here and to hypothyroidism. I’m 41 and I am having these awful symptoms for a month and already started Synthroid 50. My doctor thinks it’s a subclinical hypo because my exams are normal but i have multiple nodules for years. The thing is i find it hard to believe all this range of symptoms are due to subclinical? Maybe it’s something else? I am going to see a GP to have a full check up but a month ago i did a lot of blood tests and all turned ok. So the symptoms are: feeling bloated everyday and swelling specially in the legs and face (including around the eyes when i wake up), cramps in feet and lower leg (specially at night). Fatigue, anxiety (like a dizziness), occasional mild headache and a mild eye redness, dry skin - i developed a dry patch in the thigh - and  hip pain after mild walking in the treadmill. Also, i am a longtime sufferer of depression, constipation, mild hair loss. 

I notice most of my symptoms are mild but they sure are here everyday and i don’t feel good and normal at all.  Anybody can relate to that? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I should to add to the symptoms i have been diagnosed with high cholesterol one year ago and for that i am already taking Crestor 5mg.
    • Posted

Cristiane,  I should tell you that in my 20s, I had exposure to chemicals which initially triggered thyroid disease, though it went untreated for decades. I managed to get it into remission and enjoyed a decade of a blissful size 4 and delightful shopping for clothes. Later the thyroid disease resurfaced with a vengeance. 

I feel both triggers for the thyroid disease were environmental /  chemical exposures. And, get this, both times the thyroid disease flaired... the most prominent thing to show was spiked cholesterol. Nothing else in the blood work was out of range. Though my TSH has shown above 2, and I know this coincides with severe symptoms for me. The high cholesterol has worked consistently  as the best early indicator of thyroid issues. When my cholesterol numbers show normal, my thyroid symptoms as well as thyroid blood work are also better.  There are “optimal” thyroid ranges that are helpful guidelines  in managing subclinical thyroid disease. Mainly, keeping your TSH below 2, and keeping the thyroxin levels above the mid range. I have never taken medication  for high cholesterol, since it coincided with the thyroid flair ups and returns to normal once the thyroid issues improve. Since my blood work also shows subclinical thyroid disease, and to truly monitor my thyroid, I’d have to constantly be getting an extensive thyroid panel including antibody tests,  and even then, since these aren’t standard tests, there isn’t any way to know if they’re effective in regulating thyroid medication or indicating the progression of the disease... you get it. I monitor my symptoms as a way to control my thyroid disease, and adjust my amino acids and diet accordingly. 

• Posted

Christiane, the best place to start is by getting your results for thyroid levels - they have to give them to you - and posting them here.  Then you’ll get a whole bunch of helpful advice, guaranteed! 
  • Posted

Hi Cristiane, I understand the “subclinical” indicators. I’ve been there.  I’ll tell you my end solution resulted in lifestyle changes and amino acid therapy, diet restrictions, cleansing. I’m not at full health, but I feel this is the best direction for me that offers the best chance towards recovery from thyroid disease.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that these subclinical symptoms and lab work automatically indicate mild or subclinical disease. You have had cysts for years. You’ve had thyroid disease for years. Period. 

What is the activity of the cysts? Are they static in size and composition? Are they soft or calcified? Soft ones aren’t as bad. Once they start getting hard, this indicates a more advanced problem.

What sorts of lab numbers are you getting? The numbers may not be out of range, but TSH above 2 with T4 or T3 in the lower half of the range could support a diagnosis. T3 numbers can also show normal, but be wonky due to antibodies, high reverse T3 or other factors that inactivate T3, while it still shows in blood work. 

Are your symptoms worsening over time? How rapidly are they worsening? If your symptoms have recently taken a turn for the worse, this is important. You might want  to keep a diary of symptoms, activities and foods to see if you can make some sense of what things worsen your condition.

Unfortunately, if you’re subclinical, and thyroid treatment is designed around controlling blood work numbers, traditional treatment may not be an effective route. Just something to consider as you’re trying out medications, if you choose that route.

Thyroid disease is autoimmune disease, caused by exposure to chemicals and radiation. Particularly mercury and bromine exposure can wreak havoc with thyroid disease. Treat the autoimmune disease, and the thyroid disease is also treated.

There are many things you can do to alleviate autoimmune disease. Primarily a very clean gluten-free diet- absolutely no cheating on the gluten, even in trace amounts. Youll need to do quite a bit of research on gluten free if you arent familiar with it. You’ll also want to look into Paleo diet. This is a diet high in animal protein, no artificial additives, no grains- basically meats, nuts, fruit, veggies, especially lots of greens. Also, consider well cooked vegetables rather than raw, as they’re more easily digested, which actually results in better nutrition. Raw is not always best. Getting enough protein supports your body so it can repair itself. Eliminating additives, grains and dairy removes triggers that set off the immune system.

You can treat the thyroid disease with medication, but unless you deal with the route cause- autoimmune disease- the thyroid disease will most likely worsen even with medication. My point is that medication doesn’t slow most aspects of thyroid disease and you’re on the road to a never ending increase in thyroid medication with suboptimal results. Aldo, thyroid medication is not low maintenance.

In your case, because your blood work is “subclinical” you’ll likely have more than usual  difficulties regulating the meds, simply because blood work is used to regulate the medications.

With changes in diet along with cleansing and supplements,  there’s a good chance you can stave off thyroid disease for years.  It’s a lot of work, but your body will be better for it. And you’ll save yourself from the time consuming and frustrating thyroid medication roller coaster.

It’s my understanding that in the UK, cleansing is not really mainstream. While it isn’t part of traditional medicine, cleansing is considered a huge part of healing autoimmune disease where I reside in the US.

Hope that gives you some ideas of how to address your feelings of being out of whack.  I know it’s a lot, but I’ve been through hell with “subclinical” blood work and advanced thyroid disease. Hoping my experience can offer some relief for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.