Submandibular gland removal - 10 Days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 10 days ago had my left submandibular gland removed. Surgery went well, I woke up with all related nerves in action hmd. I left hospital 2 days after with antibiotics and pain killers. I was getting better day after day. Incision healing well. On day 8, I had sharp pain along my jaw and on my left cheek, pain in place till date wit no swelling. I cannot even touch the area with my hand. Is this normal?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Marouane,

It sounds like what you're having is pain due to the nerves coming back to life. I had my right submandibular gland removed 4 months ago and had the usual pain and swelling for the first few days. The pain then subsided until a few weeks later when I would get pangs of pain and general pain around the incision area. I phoned my doctor's office and they reassured me that this was normal. The pain subsided and then a few weeks later the same happened again. By that time I figured it was normal and at my 3 month check up (a month ago), my doctor said it was perfectly normal.

A consideration though, any time I contacted them with a question they would ask me if I had a fever along with the pain or if the site was red (possible infection). I never had but I imagine if I had, this would be considered more urgent. How are you feeling now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.