Submandibular Gland Removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone - hoping someone can help! 

I have stones blocking my saliva flow from my gland. I am currently on a waitlist to have the submandibular gland removed. I understand the complications such as swelling and temporary and potentially permanent nerve damage. I am getting married in 2 months and am quite concerned about the temporary nerve bruising and "crocked" smile that could occur. I think i may get into the surgeon next week which would be exactly 2 months from my wedding day. From your experiences, how serious are the lip and mouth drooping? Is it minor and something that only you could notice on yourself? Or should i be concerned and be waiting till after the wedding to have this done? The only thing is that i have pain and issues eating now, so i would like to get it out ASAP, but also don't want to not look like myself for my wedding day. 

Please share your experiences below to help me make this decisionsmile 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different my swelling settled after a couple of weeks and I had skin sensitivity around the area that lasted for months.I had no drooping of lip or face, not everyone has this its just unlucky if you do I think it happens when  the nerve gets irritated or damaged in some way.You will have a scar on your neck but it should be well healed in 2 months.Hopefuly you will heal well without problems.I could not wait to get my op in the end as I was in severe pain, so its probably worth the risk as if you are having problems now it will only get worse.
  • Posted

I had this problem and waited about 5 years after I first found out what was wrong . You could take an antibiotic to help swelling go down and wait until wedding is done . I had a solid 2 weeks of pain after surgery and then another few weeks of healing . I also have a scar on my neck but he did a good job hiding it in a natural crease in my neck . I have no lip drooping or numbness but I would wait , if you can and go see a good ENT Dr. I 
  • Posted

Hello Erica. The risk with salivary gland stone is to develop a severe infection. I had my gland removed 6 weeks ago and had no nerve dammage,. I was back to normal life a month after surgery without any medication. Most important thing is to have it done by an experienced Dr. Good luck and if u have any further concerns, do not hesitate.
  • Posted

hello i had a my glands removed on one side of my neck which i think is similar to what your getting. after my op i did get quite a bit of a wonky smile it was noticeable for a few months and i still feel like its noticeable to me now but most people cant tell. id get the operation over and done with and its different for everyone so you may not have any problems plus there are exersises to help gain strength again. good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.