submandibular swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had a swelling in my neck 3 mths ago, went to the docters and they didn't know what it was as it only really flared up once i eat. I then ended up in a&e with alot of pain in my jawline area and swelling, it turned out that i had a submandibular stone (5mm). Luckily enough i worked for the NHS and i didn't have to wait too long to see a max fax cons. After seeing him and having a siolagram, he told me that i would have to have my submandibular gland removed as the stone was too close to it. I agreed and not too long after that i was booked in to have the op. This was a simple procedure (i was told) and it would only take 45min. After waking up after surgery it turned out that the op did not go as planned, and it took a whopping 4 hrs. The pain was intense and 4 wks later there is still swelling under my chin and i can barely open my mouth. My jawline feels numb and i have a very wonky smile. The cons said that my wonky smile should recover over a 6mth period, (as my nerves had been stretched)but i don't think i will ever get my smile back - which worries me intensley.

I am still in pain, but the pain is not as bad as when the op was first done -and i can see an improvement. The scar on my neck is about 4-5 inches long - but as the docter used glue, you can hardly see it now as its beginning to fade. I just wished i could have my smile back. After seeing the stone, its amazing to see how something so small can cause such havoc. My neck now feels hard where the gland used to be and i do not have a dry mouth - as i thought i would - there seems to be no difference there. On eating i feel fine ( only after 3 wks though ! ).

So was the op worth it?? Well i've yet to find out. I must say its nice to be able to eat without having any probs, but if my smile never comes back - well then in that case i'm afraid i would rather have kept my stone and my smile. But we'll see if the docs right about it coming back. I'll keep you guys posted. Good luck to anyone considering having it done. Its definately not pain free :?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I know you wrote this over a year ago but appreciate some advice.  I had the same op 3 weeks ago I have been told that all the submanbular gland has been removed.  I am still very sore and it's very hard under my chin which gets harder when I eat and drink.

can you tell me if this happened to you and if it did how long did it take to heal?

• Posted

Hiya. It's me again . I have started to get shooting pains up the side of my face and also to touch my cheek it's like a nerve is exposed . Have you had this ?
    • Posted

Hi Ruth Yes I am the same I have been in pain since it was removed I have a numb feeling on jaw bone and hardness where gland was.  I also have a lot of swelling when I eat and drink it's 6 weeks now and today I a ultra sound which was a waste of time because they could on see scaring and not the radiologist is going to suggest a CT scan which hopefully will be in the next 7 to 10 days so still in pain and no nearer.
    • Posted

Oh dear that's not good is it , I am struggling with the pain and on top of that had infection so now have thrush in mouth and below . So fed up
    • Posted

That's not good for you either I was given pain relief but still wake up in pain 2am when I need to take more.  I just wished they had told me I could have this trouble also like you I have lost my smile someone asked if I had a stroke although I think it a little better.

have you been given mouth wash?  It seems if you do not kick up they don't bother. 

• Posted

I was given it a no used it for the days they said but it didn't make any difference still got infected
    • Posted

Oh dear Ruth that's not good.  I have spoken to my consultants secretary she is go to put my file on his desk for Monday morning. It's getting me down now.  I even turned down going with my family to Alton towers today, it was my grand-daughters 12th birthday I did not want to spoil it for them. 

I cannot believe in this day and age that no one can sort us out and we have to go online to find the answer for ourselves.  I have just found out that I am diabetic luckily was sent to biochemist at the local hospital and she said my blood results showed I was diabetic in 2013 how can they miss it for so long I have had blood test every 2 weeks because of a drug I take for immflamotory arthritis yet they still did not pick it up.  I am sure it because they want to save money on medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.