Submucousal fibroid, heavy bleeding and clots

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as me, I've had heavy periods for some time, didn't think much of it until, 2 months ago I started getting some spotting, I went to docs, who refered me for a pelvic ultrasound, had that and radiographer mentioned I had a small fibroid and a slightly thickened endometrium for were I was in my cycle, but didn't seem overly concerned, no referral on report, but my doc decided to refer me for a Hysteroscopy which I had on weds, gynocologist was lovely, explained everything to me(I have health anxiety and was a it of a state) anyway he felt my dr had been overly cautious but said as I was there he would carry out the procedure, he said my uterus looked pink and healthy and the was no areas of concern, he took a biopsy and then afterwards explained that I have small fibroid that is in the womb lining and this is what is probably causing the heavy bleeding, and said he wouldn't need to see me again, I was due on my period that day, but don't think it started until the following day due to the procedure causing bleeding I can't be sure, anyway this morning my bleeding is so heavy every time I get up I flood and have huge clots, way bigger than normal, have any ladies on here had an experience like this, I also have been extremely stressed for a couple of months due to the bleeding, it's actually scaring me abit does anyone else have this type of fibroid and have these symptoms, thank sherry xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Any heavy bleeding like you have I suggest you immediately go back you your doctor. Don't wait for an appointment go to the surgery to be seen immediately.

Stress can also mess with the body functionining especially periods. Try not to stress. Try relaxing/mindfulness as this really helps.

• Posted

Hi Sherry,

I have had similar experiences - it is sod's law that every time I have an appointment for an invasive procedure like an internal scan or biopsy, it is either Day 1 of my period, or is due to start. The past couple of times, I have bled heavily afterwards (flooding and clots), which is terrifying at the time. I had an internal on Thursday (day 1 of period) and yesterday all hell broke loose. Fortunately, I have learned to sit it out and wait, and this time it passed within 24 hours. I agree with Vivienne - sometimes, stress and fear can exacerbate the bleeding. I would say if it continues for longer than a day, call the GP or go to A&E. Remember that a biopsy is an invasive procedure though, and if you were due to start your period anyway, this has probably inflamed your womb lining.

I hope all works out well for you - try not to stress, just take things easy today and look after yourself as much as possible (drink lots of water, avoid coffee, alcohol or other stimulants).

All the best x

• Posted

Thank you ladies, the bleeding has slowed right down now, it happened when I first got up, does anyone know if the marina coil(not sure if I spelt it right) is any good at controlling bleeding associated with fibroids, I have only one and its only 7 mm, so quite small compared to some, but where mine is apparently they cause heavier bleeding regardless the size, so any advice would be appreciated sherry xx
    • Posted

Glad to hear the bleeding has slowed, Sherry. I had a Mirena IUD for almost 5 years with no problems, and it regulated my cycle and the heavy bleeding. However, towards the end of its 'shelf life', I started experiencing pain and heavy bleeding again, and an ultrasound revealed that a fibroid had dislodged it and part of it was embedded in my cervix. Nice. So out it came (along with a number of fibroids), and the Mirena was replaced with a new one, but that only lasted a couple of months before it was expelled completely. So I would say it really all depends on the woman and her biology and her stage in life - it worked for me once but my body has clearly started rejecting it. Now I am on the waiting list for hysterectomy and trying to manage symptoms through more holistic methods. I would say try the Mirena as your fibroid is so tiny it shouldn't cause any problems with fitting and insertion, and it may just be the answer to your prayers. It was for me for 5 years, but perhaps as I have grown older, my hormonal balance has changed. What works for one woman won't necessarily work for another - so much of this is trial and error. Best of luck! xx  

• Posted

I had heavy bleeding and thick blood cloths 3 weeks before an open myomectomy. It was so scary I've never had blood cloth so thick and the bleeding was a companied with excruciating pain that had me crying 😢😢😢😢. Thank god for the surgery. I couldn't imagine expercing this a couple times a month. Did you get a hysterectomy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.