Subserol fibroid

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello.  This is my first post on this group.  I have just been diagnosed with a 9cm subserol fibroid - originally picked up incidentally following an MRI scan.

I am peri-menopausal and haven't had a period since March 2016.  Recently I've felt mild menstrual cramps and occasional sharp pains.  No other menstrual symptoms.  However I have been suffering from IBS, bloating, heaviness and pressure in that area for a while - I just didn't think it could be a fibroid.  I have suffered chronic back pain all my life but in the last 2 months the pain has been quite severe and isn't improving.  I also have a retroverted uterus.

My question is have any of you been in similar circumstances?  Have you had the fibroid removed - I really  would rather it gone - but would only risk if it could alleviate my symptoms which are starting to get me down.

thanks All

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm 45 with no menopause symptoms but I do have all your other symptoms. I have regular periods but still get cramps when I shouldn't. Bad back ache .constant left groin pain and look pregnant most of the time.

I'm awaiting another scan in Dec so im hoping all of this is my fibroids so I have something to blame. My biggest was 3.2 cm in June. Feels about 20 now!.

Defo gets me now on a daily basis.

My energy levels are badly effected also.hope this relates a little.

• Posted

Hi Nutters,

I know exactly what your going thru. My symptom started out as bladder pressure. Myfibroid is lemon sized. In my own words, i feel frumpy.

Nighttime is the worst, cause i cannot get comfortable without using heat pad. Iget bouts of nausea, constipation and what you describe as bloating. I stopped exercising and im getting bigger. Im hoping to get back into walking soon.

I use to be a bodybuilder but that all stopped, my quality of life ruined by the constant urge to go urinate. I stopped going out of the house and work for me is unbearable at this point. I have decided on total hysterectomy and keeping ovaries, Dr said I could choose just to live with it but i wouldve had the surgury yesyerday if I could. Surgury scheduled for Nov 21 which will be laproscopic and taking the needed time off to recover and refocus into getting my head straight so that I can start getting in shape again.. I have been so depressed, but celebrating my surgury. Im even going out the week before to celebrate! Youve come to the right place and wish you to feel better!

• Posted

Evening.  I was diagnosed with a subserosal along with others within the uterus. The subserosal was slightly smaller than yours but up to 6cm . I would avoid surgery at all costs as there are so many risks. (Subserosal ones can only be removed with surgery) and try to wait it out until menopause when they are supposed to shrink naturally. You could take some courses of Esmya in the meantime which can shrink them for some time as well and buy you time. I have taken Esyma courses but not taken any for 6 months and I am still doing OK. You can also not guarantee the surgery would alleviate the symptoms, it is tricky. You are close to menopause. Maybe try to get some Esmya ? Ulipristal Acetate but you have to take for a 3 month course each time. Results are variable for everyone. You can get a bit tired in first week or so and best therefore to take in evening before bed.  Good luck   
  • Posted

My orange sized fibroid caused me constipation, I even got a colonoscopy to investigate which found nothing. After my myomectomy that department returned to normal. I also had pressure on my bladder. I was also asked if the fibroid gave me back pain which it didn't but it is expected that it can displace the spine. It sounds like you may have found the culprit to your issues. Depends whether you feel healthy enough and comfortable to undergo surgical removal.

• Posted

Hi I have a 5cm fibroid with symptoms of nausea problems with my bladder passing urine etc etc etc. Pain lower abdomen, back ,under my ribs and back shoulder blade. The bloating is incredible and my stomach ! Well looks like the size of football. I had an ultrasound yesterday, they found gall stones !! Who would have thought that ? Certainly not me. Until I can discuss with the consultant I have not a clue of what the treatment can be. I know the fybriod is in my womb and is pressing on my bladder. I would appreciate any kind of information please. Thankyou xx
  • Posted

Thanks for all your comments.  Very useful.  The constipation is quite debilitating.  i've put quite a lot of weight on my stomach in the last couple of years too.  Worst is the backpain.... well I see the gynaecologist again on Friday so will report back

• Posted

Recovering from open Myomectomy. Had OP 3 weeks ago. I had similar symptoms also thought I had IBS could constantly tired. Turns out after my CT scan that I had a 17cm pedunculated fibroid.

Histercretomy was first suggested which I refused.

So glad I put my foot down as I am doing better everyday. All the previous symptoms gone.

I would recommend surgery every time . Although Esmya can shrink the fibroid they grow back as soon as you stop taking it and the vicious cycle continues.

I hope this helps. Chin up 😏

• Posted

I don't mind a hysterectomy.  If they decide that's what should happen it's fine by me.  No use to me having a uterus anymore and I'm already peri-menopausal.

• Posted

I started taking 2,000 mg of fish oil which is an anti-inflammatory and 28 mg of iron a day. My bleeding is back to a normal level and I have no pain.
  • Posted

Saw the doctor again today.  As i'm peri-menopausal she assures me that the fibroid will shrink and that I just have to live with the symptoms for the moment. She said the tummy pain would be due to the fibroid shrinking.  So I'm pleased not to have to go through surgery etc but I suppose a secret part of me wanted it to be the answer to my chronic back pain.  She did say if I had come 4 years ago with heavy bleeding (which I did have) then she would have offered a hysterectomy.  Well let's hope it shrinks - apparently pain and discomfort doesn't matter.......

One thing I did want to ask you all - I had the transvaginal ultrasound on Tuesday this week - now Friday.  I was a tiny bit sore on Wed - but now I have quite a bit of increasing pain around my pubic bone - very tender.  is this normal? Thanks

• Posted

Further to my earlier posts, fortunately the symptoms have died down.  However, I have recently been for two unsuccessful smear tests - on both occasions the practice midwife could not find my cervix.  She thinks this is due to the fibroid.  I just wanted to check whether subserosal fibroids can be removed via laprascopic surgery?  My gynaeocologist said it could only be a hysterectomy. But seems a bit odd.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.