Subtalar Fusion ( Arthrodesis)

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm looking for individuals who have gone through a subtalar joint Fusion . It's a relatively new process as generally all three joints in the ankle are fused at the same time. Mine only needs to be fused in the subtalar . I'm curious to know how your life improved after the surgery. Did you have a lot of pain? Can you walk on uneven ground still (the subtalar joint main job is to move the foot on uneven ground)? How are your knees? How you developed arthritis in any other part of your foot due to the lack of movement in the subtalar? Can you run normally?

my background

I am a 33 year old athletic female . I run practice CrossFit, and practice Shaolin Kempo Karate. I have been in pain in my left ankle for knocking on 20 years. it wasn't until I was 31 where it was discovered that I had a tarsal Coalition in my left foot. I went through tarsal Coalition surgery which ultimately failed as they bone grew back together. a recent MRI revealed that I have tendonosis and all the tendons in my left ankle and foot , plantar fasciitis , and degenerative arthritis . have so little cartilage left in the subtalar joint it's almost not even visible on the MRI . So basically bone on bone which is really fun 😃 I tried all the other conservative I tried all the other conservative methods; cortisone shots to the Joint, Orthotics, myofascial release, physical therapy, and my recent Adventure is PRP injections to the joint and tendons. Those do seem to help the most, but they're more of a Band-Aid because until the joint can move correctly all the tendons are going to be continuously stressed and the bone will keep hitting bone. Plus at $700 and injection every 3 to 6 weeks it's not really a long-term option

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hello. I was in an accident in a race car with my son at the end of 2017. I suffered a broken left foot and left ankle, 2 ribs, and a broken neck at C2. neck fusion came first in April of 2018. my left foot and ankle had continued giving me serious issues. I was 50 at the time of the accident and had never broken a bone in my body so all this pain was new to me. getting up and walking after sleeping was like I was 95 years old for the 1st few min or after sitting for as little as 30 min. so I went and got x-rays and later an mri. there was a dime size chunk of bone the broke off and was sitting between 2 tendons so that was nice.... but even worse was at my subtalar I was completely bone on bone. they said within 5 years it will become absolutely debilitating. there was a younger podiatrist in the office doing almost nothing but subtalar fusions and so made the appointment. so it sort of had to be done. surgery was right around Feb 2019. they gave me the cortizone shot to hold me over until the surgery. my scar I believe is on the opposite side since she had to remove the broken bone piece as well. I had the nerve block done before surgery so first few days after wasn't bad. recovery though is just awful. absolutely no weight and for me it was 8 weeks because after xray she wanted 1 more week. I have wood floors in my house and had a few Wipeouts on the knee scooter so that was fun. crutches for another 8 weeks with the boot and slowly increasing weight bearing. after the boot removal and crutches were done there was still lots of swelling and stiffness. I mean there are 2 huge screws going in at your heel through the subtalar. for many many months there was lots of pain and stiffness and swelling when on my feet for a while. she also said my gait wouldn't change just the uncomfortable feeling when on soft or uneven ground like sand. .... um trust me that's a lie. just stepping on the end of where the area rug meets the wood floor was like a sharp pain every time. more than anything.... my gait has definitely changed. that roll like my right foot where the heel strikes 1st and then slightly the outside edge of my foot and then the foot just naturally rolls in.... thats gone on the left foot. there is essentially zero movement side to side and zero rotation in the foot so my left foot just lands perfectly straight and flat. not really noticeable unless I look for it. also, during all that my right calf is much bigger than my left. so a lot of that happened from the 4 months of the scooter and crutches and times you will be hopping around on one foot.... standing in the shower on one leg.... and I think some is just from this new gait. with zero flex side to side its like a lot of the muscles from the normal roll transition my right foot gets... those muscles are no longer getting activated. it's like screwing your foot down to a block of wood... once the bone is fused there is no more movement and for me it still heel strike put a perfectly flat straight transition through to the toes. tilting the foot fore and aft is about the same as my normal foot... just the left and right and tilt inside outside are just solid.

would I do it again.... absolutely. there is no more inflammation or arthritis pain now that the joint is closed. I have some balance issues.... stand on 1 foot and without thinking you are activating that subtalar joint subtlety transferring weight in different directions. when its locked up and fused and you stand on that leg no longer can you just roll your ankle around transferring weight to keep the balance.... you have to use your body arms and such and it feels very uncomfortable if you try to roll that joint around because instead of your foot being flat you're more using your knee area and putting your new Frankenstein foot on its edges instead of rolling the joint around. at least that's my experience and way of trying to simply explain it. lol.... but anyone having issues and lots of pain from arthritis and if the subtalar fusion is the proposed solution... I say some balance loss and discomfort is much better than the alternative. also recovery varies widely... when I was in PT they said I was leaps and bounds ahead of another patient who was 10 months post op and still completely swollen and unable to do much. i did a lot of hobbling around for a long time it seemed and I'd say at 2 years I'm feeling pretty good. lots of swelling up even at the 1 year mark after some long time on feet and discomfort on uneven surfaces was much more apparent at a year then at the 2 year.... so even though you are fused.... I believe it's still a long long road. this was so much worse of a recovery than the broken neck and fused c2/c3 I will say that. hope this helps and I'm sure everyone's experience is unique but this was mine.

• Edited

Hi Sara,

I am 27 years old and have had subtalar fusions in both feet. I would love to share my journey with you and would have loved a community like this when i had my surgeries. I was diagnosed with the tarsal coalition when i was a few years old. The doctor and my parents decided not to do anything because it did not cause me any pain and it didnt make sense to break a childs feet. However, they did tell my parents that my feet would start bothering me once i was older and full weight bearing... they were correct.

I grew up as a dancer from age 4 through my young adult life. Dancing almost every day, competing, teaching, etc. It was my life. It wasnt until high school that my feet started having pain. The pain was primarily any time I was on my feet consecutively for more than a half hour. The pain was excrutiating and my feet would "lock up" from the swelling in the hind foot. I also was bone on bone with no cartilage in between to prevent rubbing.

When i started exploring the option of surgery, I first saw a surgeon that wanted to do the fusion. The surgery and recovery sounded so extensive that we looked for a second opinion. We found a surgeon who suggested a "resection" where they take cartilage and fill the space between the bones to provide cushion. Unfortuantley, after about 6 months of being back to weight bearing i was back to bone on bone. It was a waste of a surgery.

After some time i started the process again and decided to do the fusions. I will be honest...the surgeries and recovery process are not fun. It will feel like you made things so much worse and wont be able to see yourself walking again. But im here to tell you that the pain and life change of being non weight bearing for 12 weeks is temporary and will EVENTUALLY be a distant memory.

On a day to day basis I do not experience the same pain that i used to. I can walk for a significant amount of time without having pain during and for several days after. I have recently tried to start dancing again and i do not think my feet like the impact of jumping/twisting side to side. It is frustrating but i dont think it makes me question my decision to have the surgeries.

If you choose to go through with the surgeries, here are some of my top recomendations to get you through...

1. Get a leg elevation pillow...it is a million times better than trying to stack pillows.

2. Get a shower bench but wait to use it until after the two week bed rest once you start to get stronger.

3. If you can, treat yourself to a hair blowout every two weeks. I would get so frustrated trying to wash my hair in the bathtub.

4. Rent a knee scooter.

5. Buy pads for your crutches.

6. Once you get to the walking boot stage you might look into a shoe leveler. I had a lot of lower back pain from the uneven-ness of the walking boot.

I hope this helps and i would be happy to answer any questions you have. Hang in there!

All the best,

Kelsey

• Edited

hi... I am going into 5 weeks post op. I have a few questions, please!

I was just moved from the cast to the boot. when I remove the boot for a short time during the day, several times a day... I move my foot just because it feels good, my question is am i hurting anything? I am still not weight bearing this just resting on sofa or bed.

my 2nd question is my toes tingle since the surgery, its not terrible but just asking if anyone has dealt with this?

I too am so happy i had the surgery and cant wait for the next several months to go by. The pain pre-surgery was getting to the point I could barely walk and the swelling was forever ongoing.

Thank you for any feedback that you are anyone else can give me!

• Posted

I am scheduled April 25th for subtalar joint fusion. How was the pain post surgically? how hard was it to not put weight on it for 6 weeks?

• Posted

How was your post op pain and what rxs did they use to manage it?

Thanks so much for your story. it was so very helpful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.