Subtalar fusion recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

i am 12 weeks ish post subtalar fusion, im walking in the house without my moon boot ans out of the house in ny moon boot with little pain or discomfort - i am already in way less pain than prior to surgery. I am not seeing my consultant for another 3 weeks ans have not been reffered to physio yet. Really want to start swimming/ floating in the pool!! Has anyone had any experience swimming or doing physio in the pool post op please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi Jessica

I had a Talo-navicular fusion back in June last year and once I was in my moon boot I started to go swimming. It helped me a lot. I started just doing a bit of swimming and also walking forwards and backwards across the shallow end of the pool to start using the correct muscles for walking. The steps into and out of the pool were okayish. My pool does have a hoist but I wanted to avoid that if possible. They allowed me to go poolside in my boot and crutches and then get in the water. I went to see them before attending to make sure they were ok with it which they were, and most helpful too. I am now 7 moths post surgery and have just started going back to the gym, albeit walking on a very slow setting on treadmill, and using the bike too. It didnt like the cross trainer so I will leave that until its a bit stronger. Good luck, enjoy your swimming and let us know how it goes! Shirl

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Its hard to know what to do as ive had no physio input but i do feel ready to start doing more now!!!

• Posted

Thank you again for your reply.

I was wondering if anyone has had a stable fracture of the distal fibula and is or was wearing an air boot.

Many thanks.xx

• Posted

hi Jessica! ?I'm considering having a surgery at the tail end of this year. I'll spare you the details but it's my last stop as far as the amount of pain I'm in. If you don't mind me asking how's your pain level after the surgery? Can you walk on even ground without pain or run? do you walk with a limp?

• Posted

Hi! I AM 21 weeks post fusion today. i would say i am in less pain than pre fusion already. i am back to work full time and on my feet for 12 hours a night at work. i would say i am doing a little too much however financially i have to at the moment. i walked with a limp pre fusion and that has now gone. flat ground is wonderful however uneven ground is a little sore. hope that helps

• Posted

it helps tremendously. thank you so much for the reply.

best of luck on your journey!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.