Success

Posted , 6 users are following.

Not only have I been awarded standard rate of PIP but also Severe Disability Premium.

In the light of this I have decided not to move to be with my sister. I have a lot of friends and activities going on here and when it came to something financial as well it was just too much to lose.

Thanks Denise for all your help patience and advice.

Hope you are doing OK.

Sarah

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That's great news Sarah, yes sometimes it's best to stay put where you have friends etc.

Always a risk moving to a new area incase they decide to reassess you when you fill out a change of circumstances form.

• Posted

Could you let me know what the disability premium us please. I get pip but I've never heard of this.

• Posted

Hi Tina,

SDP (severe disability premium)  is a disability premium paid those who claim an Income related benefit like ESA,JSA, Income Support or penison credit. They must also claim Mid/high rate care DLA, daily living PIP or attendance allowance. No one mustn't claim carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone, so no no dependents living with you, unless they claim a qualifying benefit like PIP/DLA or AA.

It's not payable if you're claiming Universal Credit. Hope this helps answer your question.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Thanks for your reply. Do you know why you can't claim this if you get uc please.

• Posted

Hi,

The premiums aren't paid on Universal credit. UC LCWRA pays slightly more than ESA Support Group, although not as much as the SDP would pay. Were you previously claiming ESA and had to move across to UC?

• Posted

Congratulations, Sarah, I am delighted for you,

MaryLip

• Posted

Great news, Sarah!! We sometimes have to weigh up the pros and cons of moving home. Although moving home isn't classed as change of circumstances for you, it would simply be a change of address.

Glad i was able to help! I'm not too bad thanks, hope you ok too!

• Posted

Hi Denise wouldn't it be considered a change because isn't her sister in a UC area or wouldn't it make any difference

• Posted

Not in this case because UC is a working age benefit and Sarah claims pension credit, therefore can't claim UC.

• Posted

What it would mean though is that if Sarah lived with her sister she would no longer be entitled to the SDP because she wouldn't live alone and her sister doesn't claim a qualifying benefit. This would mean she would be at least £64 per week worse off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.