Success stories of Citalopram please.

Posted , 119 users are following.

I have now been on 10mg Citalopram for 2 weeks, have to higher the dose to 20mg at the weekend, at the moment I am not feeling too good, hightened anxiety which the GP told me to expect, only sleeping a couple of hours a night and tummy upsets, I would love to hear other people's experiences with this drug as I am not sure whether to pack it in or carry on, thank you.

8 likes, 314 replies

314 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on 20mg for 2 months. Check my thread I have a good experience but if you still have problems they normally up them. However, I asked for a stronger dose and the Dr refused until after 6 months.
  • Posted

Thanks so much, I have read your thread and it helps to hear a good experience about them, I am determined to carry on with them especially now I have got over the first 2 weeks.
  • Posted

I've been taking 40mg of Citalopram for little over a year now. I used to had mad breakdowns every few months until i started taking them and i havnt had a single one since. When I first began taking them i had bad headaches for a few weeks but thats just a common affect along with the ones you've mentioned. I wouldnt worry you should be fine it just takes your body time to adjust (:
  • Posted

Thank you Joanne, it's good to know that it helped you, I am now in week 4 and have been taking 20mg for 5 days, still getting some of the side effects especially the hightened anxiety but I have heard that it can take up to 6-8 weeks to start feeling it is doing some good.
  • Posted

heightened anxiety doesnt sound good sad ...but in the whole you feel better ? more hopeful about life ?
  • Posted

Keep going, it takes time to take effect and the side effects decrease after the first couple of weeks. The benefits I got from it far outweighed the side effects I had, it gave me the space I needed to make a success of the therapy sessions I was attending.
  • Posted

I upped my dose feel so much better ... Though after drinking sessions I get anxious next day ... Seems alcohol doesn't mix well .. On the whole 3 weeks in and happy biggrin more energy , laughing and singing again
    • Posted

whatever u do dont drink it will mess u up wif the tablets i have been on 40 mg 4 2 yrs and had serious fits nearly died please dont drink dangerous a friend
  • Posted

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with Citalopram, I am just starting my 6th week, but only 2 of these have I been on 20 mg, 10mg before that. I think things are slowly getting better and the anxiety is a lot less than it was a few weeks ago,
  • Posted

I have been taking Citalopram for 11 months and it took me 2-3 months to adjust and settle down. I really feel it has helped me change my outlook and approach. I was in a very controlling relationship but I was also allowing myself to be controlled. Taking cit has helped me stand back and let others take responsibility for their actions rather than blaming me for them. I don't think I would have made this transition on my own. Good luck, there isn't a quick fix but for me, persevering has paid off.
  • Posted

thanks for sharing that Ali ,Its great to hear !!
  • Posted

hi I have just started taking citalopram, literally only 2 tablets. Already i feel dizzy, light headed and quite

agitated. Am wondering if this is normal or a coincidence, and something else is going on. Seems a bit

soon. Feel shattered and bit "drugged up". Maybe taking at night would be better?? Wondering if the light at

the end of the tunnel will ever appear :-((

• Posted

I take mine at night..seems to help me fall asleep.  In the beginning it kinda gets worse before it gets better but I promise it will get better.  Hang in there!. I thought I was losing my mind the first week on it, but them slowly the clouds started to lift and each day was a little bit better... Plus this forum really helped me through it.....
    • Posted

HI. Was wondering if you are completely over all side affects of this drug. Ivery just started and am nervous if not more anxious and constant same thought pattern of dread 
    • Posted

I've been on this pill 5 mg for almost 4 weeks now, today very tired and anxious, is this normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.