Success stories of Citalopram please.

Posted , 119 users are following.

I have now been on 10mg Citalopram for 2 weeks, have to higher the dose to 20mg at the weekend, at the moment I am not feeling too good, hightened anxiety which the GP told me to expect, only sleeping a couple of hours a night and tummy upsets, I would love to hear other people's experiences with this drug as I am not sure whether to pack it in or carry on, thank you.

8 likes, 314 replies

314 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I haven't been on the site for months mainly because i had problems with password but also because I've been having such a good social life! I never thought I would say that as last year I was at the stage of not caring whether I was alive or dead.I was constantly crying and anxious about my future.I went on Citalopram not really expecting it to work and initially it didn't After 6 weeks I was ready to stop taking it because I felt sick,dizzy and not able to sleep and still felt miserable so felt it was not worth taking.I was encouraged by people on here to keep taking it for just a bit longer and I'm so pleased I did .After about 8 weeks things started to improve and soon I felt better than I had for years.I was able to take control of my life again.I was strong enough to get divorced,I should have done it years ago,and started making new friends.I am now looking forward to my future instead of dreading it.One of my new friends I made on this Forum and we have helped motivate each other.

When I was able to function fairly normally I read quite a few self help books and tried to put their suggestions into practise.One book I would recommend is called "The Real Secret,what to do when the Universe doesn't deliver" and it gives a programme of steps to take to improve life and beat Depression.It's written by Psychologists and the steps are all sensible,not bizarre,and ,in my opinion definitely worth trying.

I am now reducing my doseage of Cit.I'm down from 20mg to 10 per day.I'm doing it very slowly and will make sure I go back on it if I feel I need to.I don't ever want to be as low as I was again.For me Citalopram has been like a miracle and it's worked in a way other Anti D's haven't.I've been on Prozac and various others in the past but the most they have achieved is to stop me crying but never making me happier,contented,and more confident.I wish everyone taking it could experience the results I have.

Rose

• Posted

Rose it is so nice to hear such a success story and I am pleased things got better for you, I'm hoping they will for me, well I think they are starting to work as I definitely feel different this week and am starting to sleep again and today I have managed to get so much done I am really pleased.
  • Posted

Yey rose !!! Thanks so much for sharing this !!! Great news
  • Posted

i drink and the booze does affect how they work 40 mg are a good steady dose so the mood drop could have been due to what you drank as like i said i do drink on a regular basis only beer and i always feel on a downer afterwards so try them without the sauce for a few days see how you go then
  • Posted

I have just started taking Citilopram today, after years of being on Prozac. The Prozac fixed everything but the sexual dysfunction was a problem, ( i am female, and I was unable to 'see it through to the end' so to speak, while I was on Prozac.)So,every so often, when I felt better I would come off the pills, and it would all be fine for a while, and then the darkness would set in again. so this time i asked for something different, and was given Citilopram. Soi wanted to know if anyone has any stories of side effects to do with sex and libido n stuff. thanks.
  • Posted

Hi Nj. I'm male but I found Citalopram gave me similar side effects to those you had on Prozac. For the first month or so my libido dropped off completely. However, it did return to normal strength after a few weeks. I would often have trouble with achieving orgasm, but again this wore off after time and things returned to normal.
  • Posted

Thank you, Andreas, this has made me hopeful! I hope things work out for you smile
  • Posted

Well today was the trier !! Bailiffs knocking on the door ( my sons debts ) big meeting at the place I'm contracted to tomorrow ... May loose that job !! And not a anxiety attack , even went for a swim biggrin) oh and the man I'm seeing , I can see is not the one for me and I kept trying to finish it , today I did !!!
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that you have had a bad day but pleased to hear that you haven't had any anxiety, if you can cope with all of that and no anxiety well done.
  • Posted

Dendo what a day to have to cope with .You have done incredibly well and are showing how strong you really are.Well done.Rose xxx
  • Posted

all is marvelous !! im back ...so happy I stuck withthe initial side effects !! thanks all
  • Posted

To get the significant benifits this drug has to offer patients need to tough it out during (roughly) the first two to four weeks of taking the medicine. Many people experience some pretty uncomfortable side-effects during this initial phase but things will get better - most often much better. Citilopram (and ezcitilopram) are pretty good antidepressants, in particular for people who are troubled by excessive anxiety.

My best friend was such a person and for some unexplicable reason was being treated with (what seemed to me) a rather unusual cocktail of medication by her GP; venlafaxine (a somewhat "stimulant" antidepressant - dependant on dose), olanzapine (a drug predominantly used as an anti-psychotic) and zopiclone (a sleeping pill) as she has been tortured by insomnia for years. Depression, anxiety and chronic insomnia often come as a package - we call it "comorbidity".

Anyway ... for some reason her GP reviewed her meds - consulted a local drug advisory unit and she's now doing real well on just citilopram and intermittant zopiclone. One thing I would say is ... any signs of irregular heart beats - go see your GP.

• Posted

What time of day do u take citapram?

I have been taking 40mg for 7 years now.

I take them at night but it does mean I am tired all the time sometimes I could go to sleep stsnding up

This summer holiday I tried taking them in the morning I did have more energy in the day time but crazy

dreams at night restless legs and trouble getting to sleep.

What re your experiences?

The positive fife cuts of these happy pills outweigh the sideffects although I do want to try and reduce th amount I take?

Anyone got experience of reducing the dosage of citapram.

• Posted

Normally before I go to bed. Aok, did have some zoplicone to help at first.

• Posted

I also take mine before bedtime , initially took half twice a day to find time best suited to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.