Success Story (so far)

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was dealing with a Hydrocele and had a hard time finding some success stories. So here is a positive one for those of you looking for a little hope! I am a 27 year old male who is relatively healthy, eats a well balanced diet, exercises 3-5 times per week, and has a decent sex life (one partner). 

I first noticed my hydrocele about 1.5 years ago. As most probably do, I assumed the worst (cancer, tumor, worse, etc.). Made a an appointment with my general physician who agreed it was likely a hydrocele, but recommend I see a Urologist and get an ultra sound to confirm.  It was concurred that it was indeed a minor hydrocele (about the size of two golf balls). The first Urologist told me that he wouldn't recommend surgery since he considered it minor. His suggestion was to live with it until/if it got bigger and anymore uncomfortable. I thought this was an odd response and as someone supposedly in his "prime", I didn't want an enlarged testicle to carry around for the rest of my life.  So I decided to seek a 2nd opinion, this time for a very well respected Urologist at USC (I live in the LA area). 

This urologist suggested I do the outpatient surgery before it got worse and the procedure was relatively easy and I should be good as new.  My testicular area was definitely still not normal, but the doctor convinced me it was just swelling and that it should reduce by my next visit. Swelling is normal, but about 5-6 months after this surgery I realized it wasn't just swelling, it had basically looked like the hydrocele had never left or was in fact, even slightly bigger. I started panicking as I read more horror stories online.  

My urologist confirmed the hydrocele had returned. He recommended that I have the surgery again, but this time stay over night with drainage tube to prevent immediate fluid build up. I was hesitant after the failed first surgery, but he told me it was extremely rare for hyrdoceles to return once, yet alone twice. 

I had the inpatient surgery and stayed the night with the drainage tube. I went home and kept the drainage tube for 2 more days. I went in for the follow up appointment and they removed the drainage tube. 

I am now almost 5 months removed from the 2nd procedure and I think it's safe to say my balls are looking pretty good! My testicle where the hyrdocele was is a little firmer (chalk it up to scar tissue) and sack is a little looser due to the stretching, but is returning to normal. I have minor discomfort depending on how physically active I am, but i upgraded my underwear to provide extra support and started exercising regularly with spandex to keep everything in place. 

I am not sure went wrong the first time, but I admit that I may have over excreted myself and not given myself enough time to recover. 2 weeks after my first surgery, I started weightlifting and exercising, which may have had something to do with the hydrocele returning (even though my doctor cleared me to do this). The 2nd time, i was EXTRA careful to not overexert myself. I didn't lift weights for a full 5 weeks after, I took a whole week off of work (first time I only took 2 days), I refrained from basic house chores for a while and limited my bending and weight bearing chores. That, and the drainage tube were the two main things that were different from the first surgery to the second. 

I post this to give some of you hope. As a young man, I was very stressed with this situation and it definitely weighed on my day to day psyche and now that it is behind me, I feel much better. Even though all of the research I did about the surgery that said you could resume normal duties 1-2 weeks after, I strongly disagree. Take the time on the front end to heal and recover. Not worth it to have to go through the physical and mental stress a second time. I strongly feel that this negatively impacted my first recovery. 

Hope this helps someone out there. If you have follow up questions, feel free to comment here. Thanks and good luck! You can be healed!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am also 27yrs old and have a small Hydrocele (The size of a grape)

What do you think caused your Hydrocele?

• Posted

honestly, I am not sure. I didn't have any serious trauma in that area i can recall and the doctor said it is very unknown as to what causes them. 

• Posted

my hydrocele was formed after having "blue balls" google it 

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

Just wondering was there any scarring afterwards?

Ive been diagnosed with a hydrocele myself, by a doc who said the same thing, just see how it goes and if it gets bigger think of getting surgery, which i now am thinking of doing. He also said there would be scarring possibly. 

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay. If it is still relevant for your situation, I had very little scaring. The incision that was left on my sack is very unnoticeable, even after 2 surgeries. There is some internal scar tissue build up (my left ball where the hydrocele was is still slightly larger then the right). However, I am much happier now after the surgery and the hydrocele is gone. 

• Posted

Very minimal scarring, however the first surgery didn't work as planned and i had to do it again which was inconvenient. At the end of the day i am glad i did it, as things "down there" are close to normal, however if the hydrocele isn't that big or uncomfortable, i might hold off on the surgery. 

• Posted

I'm curious, how are you doing from that now? Looks like it's been 7 months since you posted that. I've had a hydrocele for a couple of years now. It has bothered me significantly at least twice since I first noticed it.  Both times my Doc put me on anti-biotics and it got better a few weeks later. I honestly don't know if there was an infection or not. Could have just been some type of flare up.  Well, looks like it's happening again.  Every day it's been bothering me more and more, and it looks larger than it was. I'd say my left ball is the size of an avocado now. Each of these flare ups followed me doing any type of leg workouts.  This time I didn't do anything, that I can think of.  Also, can you tell me which USC doctor you saw? I've had a surgery down there before and it would be worth getting a consult again

• Posted

Hi Brian, 

Things are going great. My testicle is much more normal now and hangs much more naturally, as opposed to high and tight (causing pressure). When I exercise, lift or run, it does seem to get a little agitated/swollen but that typically subsides afterwards in an hour or two. It definitely is not totally back to normal, however I am much happier than I was with the hydrocele! 

As my original post said, my first surgery was not successful (which from my understanding is very rare) but my second one was. I would say if it is consuming your mind on a daily or semi-daily basis, it's worth exploring. I became very self-conscious, even around my wife. To the point I was thinking about it too much and it was effecting my psyche.

I saw Dr. Stuart Boyd. Head of Urology. Smart guy who obviously has a good track record. My one complaint was that his bedside manor wasn't the greatest, but I got used to it. 

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. 

-Dan

• Posted

Hi and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm basically same boat, I'm 30 very active and in a single-partner relationship.

I had the hydocelectomy about 4 days ago and there is really significant swelling -- i.e. large grapefruit size.

Was that your experience? And how long did it take to get back to a size such that you didn't look like a penguin when walking?  smile

Thanks again!

• Posted

For the first several weeks after surgery, it was as big or bigger than it was prior to surgery. I just reminded myself that "i just had evasive surgery on an area of my body that hardly ever experiences trauma". With that in mind, there is bound to be bruising/swelling. After a couple of months, I feel like I noticed significant improvement and from then on it gradually decreased in size/swelling. 

As mentioned, it still flares up and gets swollen when I am physically active (basketball, strenuous hiking, etc.) but it usually subsides within a day or two. Sometimes I take Advil to help with that if it seems worse than usual. 

I cant say it ever reached the size of a grapefruit. it was more like a slightly smaller tennis ball, but like i said it eventually returned to almost normal (i dont feel like it will ever be the same after two surgeries). But overall I am happy with the results and i feel like it does hamper my sex life or day to day life. 

I think you will be fine! Hope that helps. 

-D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.