Success with venlafaxine withdrawal

Posted , 77 users are following.

Hi guys,

After 6 long years on venlafaxine, I have finally gotten off the drug. I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but I wanted to share some hopeful words and tips for anyone trying to come off of this nasty medication. I should clarify, however, that I am not angry for having been put on this medication, as I am sure it saved my life. That being said, 6 years, 225mg/day and an additional 20kg later (!!! just awful !!!) I am so glad to be Effexor free.

The details:

I was taking Effexor XR and had been on my maximum dose for 3.5 years. Prior to that I was on 150mg for about 2 years. I took 3 x 75mg capsules every morning as a once a day dose. Taking three tablets was initially to save money (for some reason it was cheaper here in Australia to do it that way) but it ended up having the extra bonus of making withdrawal easier.

What worked for me may not work for everyone, but this is the approach my GP and I came up with. Most was my own plan, based on what I found worked, but my GP gave me the initial "tablet dropping" idea and trusted me to take it slowly, listen to my body and see her as needed. It worked very, very well, with minimal side effects. If it helps even one of you it will be worth having posted this.

First things first:

1. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and are in a good place emotionally before even contemplating withdrawal.

2. You are going to need supportive people around you- I don't know if I could have done it without my boyfriend. Tell your family/friends AND DOCTOR what you are doing. This is crucial. You may also want to tell someone you trust at work what is going on, so they know why you may seem a little dazed every so often.

3. Make sure you are eating really well. I switched to a vegan diet about half way through and, although this is not for everyone, this made withdrawal so much easier. I am sure the huge amounts of vegetables made a difference. I especially noticed that days when I ate lots of sea vegetables I coped best with symptoms, so consider working them into your normal diet.

4. Take a multivitamin and drink lots of water. At least 2 litres a day. This will help minimise the horrible nausea you will probably experience.

5. Drink ginger tea/use ginger. This is also for the nausea and I found it was essential in the days after stopping completely. It really does help. I also wondered if some people might find a prescription for maxalon or stemetil helpful, as the nausea and dizziness was the worst for me.

6. Get lots of sleep. I mean heaps of it. Anyone who has withdrawn from this med (or even skipped a dose!) knows how tired you will get.

Now the tablet reduction:

I started by reducing my total weekly dose by 1 tablet per week (taking 2 tabs one day and 3 every other day) for a few weeks. This sounds like nothing, but even this produced quite bad side effects at first (teariness, exhaustion, dizziness and nausea). Only when I was comfortable (ie no side effects) with this dose regimen did I move on.

Then, I took 2 tabs instead of 3 on two days a week for a few weeks until I was comfortable (making sure to space the 2 tablet days out, eg Sat and Wed). Then I got into the habit of taking tablets as follows. I made sure to plan/write all of this down on our calender beforehand, to use as a guide and make sure I didn't mess it up:

3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2 etc for about 3 to 4 weeks

Then:

3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2 etc for about another 3 weeks to month.

Then:

3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, etc for about a month. Then when I got to 2 tablets (150mg) a day on every day of the week I rested on that for quite a while (mostly as I was nervous about going too fast). Then, I did a pretty much similar thing to get down to one tablet a day. Then the same to get to 37.5 mg. I actually stopped pretty abruptly from the 37.5 mg stage, as I felt entirely ready. After that I had about 5 days of feeling pretty crappy, with symptoms as above, then I started getting better. Day 3 with no drugs was the worst for me.

So, in the end, it took me about 8 months to go from 225 to nothing. I know that seems an eternity, but I think that is why I coped so well. Five days after dropping from 37.5mg to nothing, I had almost no symptoms. Seven days later I had none. Even if you take nothing else from this, please know that it is possible to get off of this nasty drug BUT you must be careful, listen to your body, do it with support from those around you and in communication with your GP.

Good luck to all of you

xx

biggrin biggrin

17 likes, 204 replies

204 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, congratulations to all who are on the road to being Effexor free.  It is not an easy journey.  I took 75mg of Effexor for 17 years.  Cut dose down to 37.5 mg about a year and a half ago without major side effects.  Then, last year about this time, began to taper off, using the bead counting method.  I removed two beads per week from my daily dose, starting on the same day each week.  When I was down to about 14 beads remaining as my dose, I had to start removing only one bead a week.  I felt stomach upset, but not nausea.  Disoriented and unfocused, but not unable to work, and I began to experience some confusion and memory difficulties. Fortunately, it was such a slow taper that I did not experience the brain zaps. I believe it also helped a little that I did the bead reduction so that the initial days of the new (lower) dose fell on weekends, so that my body had some time to adapt to the lower dose before the work week started.  I also took vitamin B and Fish Oil omega 3 which actually seemed to help a bit, even though I am not a huge believer in the power of supplements.  In that manner, I reduced the number of "beads" of Effexor I took until I was down to one little bead.  I took the one bead dose daily for three weeks!  Finally, on June 20th, about seven months later-- I began my first week with no Effexor.   I would like to be able to say that I instantly felt better, but those of you that have taken this drug for a lot of years know that is not the case.

The first week or so post-Effexor, I did not feel much different.  At about week three, some panic attacks set in. I had never had these before, even prior to taking Effexor.   My heart beat rapidly and I felt extremely anxious when I woke up in the morning and at night.  I tried to basically ignore these and get through them, or use them to do some serious cleaning or go for a rapid walk when I could.  Gradually they subsided, perhaps around week 8 or 10.  By this time I had also lost about 20 lbs. which helped as well.  The alarming part is that my memory and mental cognition for planning, communication and other vital skills in my business life has not improved.  If anything, it had become worse, especially in recent weeks.  The panic/anxiety symptoms have also returned.  I am beginning month six of post-Effexor life.  I did take the drug for 17 years- a very long time.  I know that at my age (59) my body does not bounce back as quickly as it used to!

My question-to anyone out there who has taken Effexor for many years and subsequently stopped.  Did you experience memory/cognitive changes?  Did they diminish over time?  This is truly alarming to me as I have always had a great memory for specifics and detail and now I can't remember some things that I have always known, or even some things that I did yesterday!  Thank you to anyone who reponds!  Good luck to everyone on this journey!

• Posted

Hi M, 

I went off Effexor too fast last year after 12 years of taking it, and did indeed have cognitive issues - brain fog, memory issues both short and long term, confusion, etc.  I think those came up earlier on, in the first five months, and then the anxiety and depression hit to a degree never experienced before in my life.  Since I didn't realize I was in Effexor wd due to being in menopause and blaming most of the symptoms on that, I thought I was going mad and ended up on mirtazapine and then reinstating Effexor at 10 months out.  Within one hour of that dose, my symptoms improved dramatically, a sure sign of dependency!  So, now that I now, I am doing a slow taper, removing beads AND weighing.  I'm following a 10% taper of mirt and removing a couple of beads of Effexor per month just to gently reduce rather than do bigger cuts of both at the same time.

• Posted

Mine is not beads.  It is on pill that is 225 mg that I take at bedtime...How can I taper off when mine is one solid pill???
    • Posted

Hi Jacques! When I was in prison it was common for guy's to crush their pills, for sniffing (go to wikipedia and you will find that venlafaxine is an SNDRI, similar to cocaine, but Effexor is "not thought to be habit-forming", LMFAO! I hate Rx companies). We, I mean they, did this buy placing the pill on a clean surface, covering it with folded paper (you dont want the pill to fragment everywhere, and you dont want the pill to puncture the roof of the paper), and taking a lock to grind over top of and back and forth until the pill was crushed into fine powder/plastic shard's - a dollar bill and a ciggarette lighter work great for these purposes, but here in the North Carolina penal system we are not allowed to smoke or cary money anymore. Anyway, once you have successfully crushed your pill on the surface of your choice, you can use a driver's license to collect all of the powder/wax into one big line of 225mg's. Now the math is yours: One line of 225mg evenly cut into two, is approximately two lines of 112.5mg. If you dont feel comfortable with a whopping 50% decrease, cut one of the two lines of 112.5mg's in half, and you have approximately 56.25mg's, or 25% of the original 225mg's. Now you have one line of 112.5mg's + 56.25mg's (half) of the second line, for a total of 168.75mg's of effexor. If your not comfortable with a 25% decrease you can take one of your 56.25mg quarter lines, and halve it. Now you have an eighth (1/8) or, 28.125mg's. Thats a 12.5 % decrease! 225mg's - 28.125mg's = 196.875mg's, and so on.... And remember, whatever you seperate from the total amount should be placed in a vial, or a small baggie, and labeled as that amount! If 196.875mg's isnt working for you then you have your remaining 28.125mg baggie to consume. This is alot easier than starting the whole process over again with a fresh pill, or taking a frantic nibble of unknown quantity out of a fresh pill. Be carefull ! Best of luck!

• Posted

Just wanted to say that made interesting reading. Liked it!
    • Posted

Thank you Sara! It's psychologically reinforcing (to me) to know that I still have the mental capacity to articulate whats on my mind. I was on Effexor XR 225/300mg's a day since 2002. As of Jan 9 2016 I started a taper. I made it down to 150mg's somewhat comfortably, but grew impatient. As of april Fool's Day I went cold turkey from such a high dose, after so many years. It's been about 135 day's since my last dose of Effexor, and if it wasnt for Klonopin (a highly effective benzodiazepine tranquilizer) I would've pulled the trigger a while back. That's how bad it is/seems! There is a reason you've come here! If you are considering stopping Effexor I highly recommend that you procure some benzodiazepines, Like Xanax or Klonopin! Addiction is an irrelevent concept here. You dont have to become addicted to Xanax as you can take it whenever you want (PRN), you just need a little discipline. With your neuro-acclimation agent's like venlafaxine you dont have a choice but to become dependent on the drug, regardless of the side effects. Once you give the drug the required 4-6 weeks of continuous exposure to your brain, it becomes part of you, whether it get's you high or not, quit the drug; lose part of yourself in the process. That's the catch! Remember, 99% of doctor's struggled with the hard sciences like math, physic's, chemistry and biology. That's why they are so naive as to say something as ridiculous as, "it's not addictive" and prescribe a dangerous, experimental compound like Effexor. Drug company scientist's know this: Mere physicians dont know how to MAKE drug's much less how drug's WORK! The first time I typed this I gave you a link to a website, and when I went back to re-read my post it said, This reply is waiting to be moderated. And I think I used a four letter word (not poop) in regards to Effexor. So, If you see two comments in similar format stacked on top of each other it's because I was really getting into this, and I wanted you to see it, not because i'm.......wait a minute, I am crazy! LOL! I feel like i'm slipping into the deepest, darkest depths of psychosis. I cant believe it's allready been three day's since I made the post to jacqueline. I thought it was last night, or something. I hope she's OK, and find's a way to get off this drug. Hey, this is off the subject, but do you remember a song from the 1980's called Sara, by the band Starship? Beautiful song! Beautiful name! Until next time, if there is one, Take care Sarah.

• Posted

Wow...when i thought it couldnt get more interesting! 

First If anyone goes cold turkey im impressed but i dont have the guts myself. Saying that if i could be locked away somewhere with food and water id give it a go. Ive had to remind myself often its not a race. Ive been on Ven/Eff for many years so its going to take a while to get off this ride. 

My Dr has no real advice to give other than to try something new. Im doing it my way. Yes ive had melt downs but ive never felt more in control than taking myself off this drug. 

Im also starting to see more clearly and my head is less muddled. I plan to rid my life of all things that have a negative impact on my wellbeing. Felt good writing that. Haha 😉

• Posted

This is a test post. I just spent three hours typing a response to you, but it told me that I had been signed out, and when I tried to sign in it wanted information I dont have.
    • Posted

Thats funny! I was just thinking that if I was back in my old prison cell I wouldnt have a choice but to get better, or go insane, and stay insane until the insanity became comfortable.

I am honered that you are impressed, but I must say that I was just out in my garage thinking about hanging myself. The withdrawal from the drug has long faded. Now im just a different me, and it's really uncomfortable. I miss the emotion's and memories. I miss being able to listen to a song from the 90's and going through the psychological teleportation back to a past time of good memories and magical feeling's. Now, all I can do is THINK, and that's bad when you cant THINK! I feel as though I have some kind of idiopathic (unknown to med-science) brain injury that will only allow me to feel pain and confusion.

Enough about me and my problems, it's your turn: Are you off the drug completely? If so, Stay Off! When I first tapered off in august 2014 at 150mg's I never felt so awake/good in my life. I had overwhelming emotions, both good and bad, but I felt good. My doc at the time was a real benzophobe, and only gave me seven 0.5mg klonopins to take one of at night for sleep, for the withdrawal. I broke the pills in half and made them last me two weeks. I would still be off Effexor today and feeling good, but I erroneously concluded that I could just jump right back on the effexor at 225mg's and come off at another time when I found a shrink who was compassionate enough to give me a little anxiety medicine, WRONG! This time something was different. The drug wasnt working like it did before! So, I went back down to 150mg's, then 75, then stopped again, then started again. Now here I am - Planter's Mixed Nut's.

Dam, this is the second time I had to type this, and I forgot most of the lines in my first draft. It was good too!

As far as your doctor not having any advice but another drug that doesnt surprise me. Their livlihoods are contingent on keeping people sick and dependent on the nearest retail pharmacy.

I was gonna say goodnight, but by the time you get this it'll be evening, most likely, so I might as well say high. Dam I cant belive I lost my first post. I really went into some detail about my ex-fiance, and my brother, and prison, and emotions. Maybe I can remember when we talk again. I want to hear back from you sara20313. Until then, behave yourself, and know your not alone. Hugg's Goodnight!

• Posted

Dont worry! It was fun while it lasted. Have a good life.
    • Posted

Why does what you write make me laugh. What you say resonates with me!

I wish you Dana30060 the very best life has to offer. If an opportunity comes by grab it with both hands as I will.

With love

Sara xx

• Posted

Thanks! I'll try, but i have this dooming suspicion that most of my opportunities have long gone by. Like that verse in the song, I'll Melt With You, by the band Modern English - "never comprehending the race that "long gone by."

My little niece and her friend were over today. I accidentally left this blog open. They seen it and typed, I like fart's, LMFAO! I'm glad my Mom got to them in time before they could figure out how to reply.

I'm glad I can make you laugh. I havent TRUELY laughed in a long time. I would give anything to be able to feel just 5 seconds of good. Maybe there would be a residual effect that lingered, and I could be me once again. I hope by the time I'm 40 (about three and a half years up the road) I will still be off of this poison, and feeling better. Only time will tell.......

With Passion, Grace, Fire and Love

Dana

• Posted

I am so enjoying this thread. it's making me smile. I haven't done that in awhile.

• Posted

Likewise! I'm having a blast. thats a pretty cool song huh? The future is open wide. What kind of music do yo like (do I end that with a ? mark even though it's not a yes or no question?) Do you like cats? I love cats! If all men could take kitty-cat classes htey would make better lovers!

When i was in prison I would read, constantly. I would write down lines and phrases that I thought had value. Heres one from Stephen King.

A cat wont curry favor even if it's in their best interest's to do so. A cat cant be a hypocrite. If more preachers were like cats, this would be a religious country again. If a cat likes you, you know. If she doesnt, you know that, too.

I really like talking to sara20313. It makes me smile, something I havent done in a while, but seems to be getting easier.

dana

• Posted

You know, maybe we should meet up somewhere else. The moderator, here, doesnt seem to like what I have to say so much these day's. I made a vague reference to the irony,and counterproductiveness of an antidepressant support group, that is funded by an antidepressant commercial, and off to the moderator I went.

Let me try again: Psychiatry's justification for using so many different experimental drug's is very similar to the justification of corporate murder, in the court of law. The law say's: it's only justifiable to take a human life when taking that life ensures that the lives of others (innocent's) will be saved.

In psychiatry, the philosophy is: Suicide and homicide are acceptable and valuable consequences of current psychotropic drugs as the tragedies are a current glimpse into the maladies of the Human brain, and psyche, therefore potentially creating a perfect, side-effect free drug for future generations.

• Posted

Welcome aboard kelly! It's funny I should say that, I feel like I'm the one that went off the deep end a while back. But, if your smiling, I'm happy! I hope your situation isnt as bad as mine. I quit Effexor on 4-1-2016, and I still, feel pretty bad. Hey! It's not about getting back to your " old self " , It's about getting comfortable with who you are, now!

Please, keep smiling!

dana

• Posted

Hey Dana....thanks for the welcome! You're a complicated cat.....but an interesting one. i'm still surviving, but I have treated a few people who love me very badly i the last few days. I may not be fareing as well as I think...haha....or maybe not funny.

• Posted

Realistic lyrics I suppose.. I particularly like Jewel - foolish games at the moment.

I haven't listened to music in a long while. Maybe I aught to.

Things have been flat for me for a long time. It shouldn't be, with what I have around me I should be happy. But im tired.

You want me to purr?!

I charge extra for that. 😼

Sara x

• Posted

We could meet at the crown

And all wear the same expression. 😂😂😂

Or continue to support each other here.

Sara x

• Posted

Kelly, your welcome! Dont beat yourself up for not being perfect to those around you. Anyone who understands SNRI withdrawal will, SHOULD, understand that there is other factors involved that are affecting your personality. If i had a list of all the times that i was rude,or mean to someone who was only trying to help me, well, let's just say it would be pretty long.

I dont mean to be complicated I just really love chemistry, especially organic chemistry. I think that could be my undoing because all i seem to do lately is focus on the potential damage that the venlafaxine may have done to my dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonergic (and other peripheral neurotransmitter's), highway's. It's almost to the point where I am obsessed with it, and thats bad. I think I might be, subconsciously, convincing myself that there is a problem that doesnt really exist. I dont know! I know that i feel different. I dont feel as smart as before. It's hard for me to comprehend thing's that are pretty simple. The math and science that I so loved seem to be a mental challenge, not leisure enjoyment like it was before. It hurt's to think, and thats driving me crazy because I used to be able to think, and form complicated opinions about science, religion, politics and life, in general. I keep forgetting how to spell words etc. Who knows? I dont. I just know that i cant give up, and going from a person of at least average intelligence, to a potato is pretty dispiriting. I cant get lost in a book or a movie anymore. I cant sit and be comfortable, and let my imagination run wild like before. I do enjoy talking to you and sara. I dont know, I guess I have to re-learn how to think. Only time will tell............

Untill next time, thanks for listening.

Dana

• Posted

dana, you should feel bad for making a derogatory reference to potatoes. Potatoes are cute, and I like them, and I want an original Mr. Potato Head for Christmas.
    • Posted

sara I couldnt agree more! I think we should continue to support each other hear. I only suggested otherwise because I get extremely agitated when I put my heart and soul into a comment, and that comment gets removed by mommy moderator. I feel that what i have to say is of enough importance that even the medical moderators should listen, and possibly learn something.

I'll have to check out, Foolish Games. According to Wikipedia the song came out in 1995. That was a special year for me: I was a sophomore in high school, and having the best time of my life. Ill be honest, and say that when i was younger I had a pretty simple philosophy about music - if it aint METAL, it aint music! But I am alot more open minded now. Even songs that I thought sucked back then, I like now, just because it's a trip down memory lane. I'm sure Jewel will be no different. Thats funny; music is alot like good, single malt scotch whiskey in the fact that as it ages, it gets better. I used to hate Nirvana because I thought they were the epitome of less-than-perfect musicianship. I would only listen to glam-metal, with top-of-the-line vocals, and impeccable guitar solos. Now, when I hear some of those old song's by Nirvana I'm blown away by the passion, and emotion of the song itself, not the skill level of the band. Kurt Cobain was a genius. I feel guilty for ever saying anything different.

You said, "things have been flat." Thats (flat) a simple word that describes (almost perfectly) a very complex, biochemical, psychological situation. I have never felt more flat in my life. I feel like i have brain damage. I want so badly to put into words, to you, how I feel, but when I try and think, it hurts. I used to be so creative, and ambitious, and I still am, but the mechanism that allows for expression seems blunted.

I dont want you to be mad at me, but I have a confession to make: I drank alcohol last night (11.00pm - 1.00am). Now I feel really bad to the point where I dont think I can stand it anymore. The thing is - I knew that this would be a consequence, yet I did it anyway. I feel so uncomfortable sometimes that I will do anything just to mentally escape the situation, even if I know that it will worsen the situaiton, later. I never used to be this self-destructive. If your feeling bad please dont drink alcohol. Depression and hangovers are not a good combo. I wish you could reach out ( through the computer moniter ), and hold my hand, and tell me that it will be alright. I wish I could do the same for you. In Alcoholics/Narcotics anonymous they advise against getting involved with someone who is your support. I totally dont understand that; if anything could bring two people close together it is the psychological pain that both people suffer, and understand mutually. Thats just my opinion. If I had all the money in the world tomorrow, I wouldnt go out to Hollywood and shack up with some "perfect 10" model bimbo. I would go to the nearest mental health place and find me a good, down to Earth hippie chick (with hairy armpits!), and start a relationship that meant something real.

I dont have alot of money, but I still want to hear you purr.........

dana x

• Posted

My Dear Dana30060

Yes you are right about all that you have said in my opinion. I'm pretty certain the moderators take note even if it's subliminally. Those of us can read and take out of it what we choose. A lot of what you say has been noted as very interesting by others.

Music is an important part of life and if I were to listen to something it would be when I was alone rather than in any other form. Ie concert.

I also liked what you said about the word flat. It makes perfect sense. Emotions are important for us to feel but there must be a switch. It's stuck.

Remember the 'private' envelope beside the name that you can use. Then it will only go to whomever you choose.

You may feel your expression has become blunted but in time you will feel sharp again. We have to be kind to ourselves don't we?!

I know what drinking does and I'm the same. I will drink knowing what will pan out the following day. It's the choices we make.

I am reaching out to you ...here I am.

S x

• Posted

A medication being PRN has nothing to do with addiction not being an issue. A medication may be prescribed as PRN, but it doesn't mean it's not abused. Also, It's disappointing to hear someone else think that addiction can be controlled with some measly self-discipline. I think you may benefit from some research from intense research on the disease of addiction.

• Posted

Yo!

You didnt understand me. With a fast acting drug like Xanax you know what your getting into. You know you are going to feel good for a while, and when it wears off, maybe feel a little worse. With your AD's your physician will instruct you to endure whatever side-effects that come with the drug for 4 - 6 weeks, if your still feeling bad they will likely stop the drug. Cant do that. After the 4 - 6 integration process the drug becomes part of you. Lose the drug - forget how to brush your teeth.

And as far as addiction goes I never claimed to be an expert, anyone who does is likely a charlatan. Human emotions are not physical entities that can be measured for length, weight and ph values. Some particle physicists have speculated that the conscious mind might have the ability to survive the physical death of the brain, but it's still up for debate. I am not ready to find out.

My problem is with coercive tactics used in psychiatry to persuade people into trying these new, site-specific designer drugs. Just look to the right of this blog.

When a physician tells a patient that an antidepressant is not addictive it is because commercialised medicine has comprimised his or her medical integrity to the point that he or she will say or do anything to get that patient on the newest, experimental drug. Its called a "lie by omission." Sure, junkies may not enjoy mainlining a 1/4 gram of fluvoxamine as much as they would a bag of quality smack, but that doesnt mean that the fluvoxamine wont become an integral part of life for the person who is suffering severe anxiety/depression, especially after the person has positive response to the medicine. With that being said, the phrase, "is not addictive" should be considered a deceptive marketing strategy by anyone who is considering psychiatry.

Let me try it another way: You can make a prescription for Valium last as long as you have the self discipline to do so; a month, a month and a half, longer. With your Effexor if you skip or miss a dose you have problems, severe problems. Catch my drift?

Tell me, what prescription drug brings you to this thread?

Dana

• Posted

I did not understand you. There are a lot of other medications that if you miss you have serious side effects and basically can't function, especially when your body gets physically addicted.

At this point in time, unless you've found someone you can totally trust (and even then), you need to know you own information before seeing and believing a doctor. They usually are just spewing what they learned 25 years ago, or pushing a certain kind of drug on you because of drug reps.

I never stated that you were an expert on addiction. I think the only people that truly know what it's like are the ones that have gone through it themselves. Otherwise, you can do all the research and speculation you want (and lord knows people do), but unless you've trudged through that dark path yourself, does that person TRULY know what it's like?

Anyway, I just looked up Effexor because I was just put on it after being on Cymbalta 90 mg for years. I'm on 225 mg.

• Posted

Yo!

First and foremost I apologize about the late response. I've been kind of bad off lately. I took 225-300mgs of Effexor XR since 2002 (14 years), and as of April Fools Day, 2016 I decided that I was done with it altogether.

I tapered down to 150mgs somewhat comfortably. On March 31 2016 I decided to take the 150mg dose at two different times of the day - 75mgs in the morning, 75mgs in the afternoon, but I over-slept and only took the 75mg dose in the afternoon. The next day I went cold turkey.

It's been over 5 months now, and every day it seems to get a liitle worse. Every day that passes I seem to become a little more estranged from the self I once knew. I contemplate suicide on a daily basis. It's bad!

Im sorry to hear that your on that high of a dose of Effexor. I am a bit reluctant to give you any advice about whether to get off, or stay on. I will say this: If you do decide to taper, and when you take your final pill, you might want stay off, for good. If you try and reinstate there is no guarantee that the meds will work a second time. And if the meds were working good the first time, your gonna wonder why they're no longer effctive the second time. And thats gonna turn into an obsession. You can become so preoccupied by thinking about the drug damage that eventually, you forget how to do simple things like, brushing your teeth. This cycle of negative-thought rumination will allow no other comforting thoughts to cross your mind. You'll want to know why you cant read a book, and comprehend things as good as you use to. You'll want to know why you cant focus on a movie. Youll want to know why you have a hard time articulating your thought through words. Every time you wonder about these things, you'll come back to the conclusion that the drug has really messed you up. Every second of every hour of every day will feel like intolerable agitation. Then you will be tempted a second time to stop the drug. Thats where the real fun begins. Now, your going through a second withdrawal with an alredy compromised mental state from the previous, failed taper.

At least thats how I feel on a daily basis. I got an idea that I'll wind up in a stright-jacket, or worse, if there could possibly be anything worse.

Until next time, if there is one, Good Luck!

Dana

• Posted

I tried to do this 2 years ago. Still had the visual problem for 2 years. Finally after accident am back on them. Good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi, Yes, I wrote that over a year ago, and have been off Effexor (and/or any other prescription drugs) for 23 months at this time.  The cognition/aphasia issues have worsened, still have heart palpitations in the AM.  I feel my brain was permanently damaged/altered from taking Effexor for as many years as I did.  At this point I just do what I can to maintain the cognitive capacity that remains. I am so sorry to hear about your accident, but hope things improve for you.
    • Posted

I was on effexor 37.5 for 16 years. Got off and was good for awhile then the vision problems gave me anxiety and this lasted almost a year. Going thru difetent med s for a year that made me sick. Finally detoxed off all meds. Then got in accident. And the circus started all over. I am sick being on effexor now. Did good for months. But when I stopped taking celebrex all heck broke loose. Now trying hard to get down to 37. 5. Will never get off completely. Symptoms last forever.
    • Posted

It has been a while since this post, wondering if you still are a member and how you are doing.

Having a very hard time with a very similar journey.

• Posted

It has been a while since this post, wondering if you still are a member and how you are doing.

Having a very hard time with a very similar journey. I was wondering how your re-instatement of effexor had gone. I'am 16 months out from discontinuation and my symptoms are at there all time worse. I hear a lot of stories that late stage re-instatement does not work. Would love to discuss your personal journey.

• Posted

I haven't been on for awhile. Still trying to get to 37.5. Having withdrawals still very tired all the time. Sick of this. How are you doing ? Thought I would try l theanine mornings. My chest hurts and body ache all the time. Panic I guess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.