Successful Citalopram Withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have been taking 20mg of Citalopram for over 10 years now. In that time I havr gained 7 stone in weight.. I have zero energy and am constantly tired. I recently decided that I want to come off them and started three weeks ago weaning myself off them. With the advice of the doctor I am currently taking 20mg and 10mg alternate days. After a month I will be changing to 10mg daily. All that I am reading is really negative stories of people coming off them and wondered if anyone has a positive successful story? Or any tips to help get through the withdrawal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lorraine,

Time and again I read about some awful effects people have endured coming off Citalopram but here's mine.  I was taking them for 20 years on and off but mostly on but I also ran 100 miles a week. I fractured my hip in January and had to stop running abruptly. Even though I was on Citalopram I was unbeliebably depressed, tearful angry and lashing out to my N's and D's. The conclusion was that it was my running that was contriolling my depression and NOT the pills! Therefore I stopped, in my case abruptly, not something I recommend but unavoidable in this case. - that's another story - For about a week or 2 I was having dizzy spells and nausea but that was all. I am now in my 4th week pill free and I mostly feel pretty good. It has however coincided with a return, albeit gradually, to my jogging/walking/running. I am alive again. My energy levels are back and I am easier to live with - ask my husband! Be patient it will be worth it. Above all don't give up when and IF the going gets tough. We are here for you.

• Posted

Hi.. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its good to hear some positivity about this. Also interesting to hear that excercise helps. Can I ask did you gain weight whilst on citalopram at all?
    • Posted

Hello Lorraine,

Sorry for delay in answering but it was my birthday and my girls took us out for the day. Many people gain weight with Citalopram it is one of the more common side effects. I did a little in the early days but because I exercise as much as I do this was not in my case a factor. I think it must be because Citalopram must improve your appetite as when I came off a few weeks ago my appetite was non existent. It is a lot better now but then I am up and running again after my fractured hip. Take it from me exercise is fantastic medicine all you have to do is find the one for you there is a dazzl8ing array of choices, but as I say I have a strong preference for the great outdoors, it is by far the best 'drug' natural endorphins. Keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.