Successful gallbladder removal stories

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been reading a lot about this surgery and I already know too many bad stories. Can anyone who had a successful story please post about it? I know there are people with good experiences rigth after the surgery and even many years after. I think Those of us who are about to have this surgery need to hear some positive experiences too. Thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carolina. My story is that I cancelled having a cholecystectomy twice over 12 years. Then this year I had a run of serious health problems and decided that I would be better if removing my gallbladder from the equation. The operation was postponed by a week due to emergencies but I finally had my gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery in mid July.

My gallstone was about the size of a cream egg and I was taking steroids due to other autoimmune problems. So two days after the operation I developed an abscess at the base of my wound. It was a bad infection so I went back into hospital for four more days on IV antibiotics. The surgeon explained this was because it is a very small hospital with only one theatre and they ran out of time and hadnt planed for a gallbladder that had attached itself to my liver with one very large stone.

Since the wound has finally healed up I've not needed any anti acids or had any problems with my digestive system. I have been able to eat anything I choose without paying for it and on the whole my health has improved greatly. I don't know if this is just coincidence but, despite all the complications I'm much happier for not having a gallbladder with one enormous stone.

I recommend you get your gallbladder removed if you have stones or infections or both - but just make sure the surgeon is thorough and checks out your most recent scans. I think, looking back, my problem was that I had it done in a very beleaguered NHS hospital where correct protocol was not followed and the surgical team were working in less than ideal circumstances.

I'm sure yours will go swimmingly and I wish I'd had it done years ago instead of wimping out. I feel so much better without it.

• Posted

I'd put mine off for 8 years and like you decided to do it cause I started suffering from other health issues and wanted to rule my gallbladder out - which it turned out to be. They found over 70 small square stones (like mini oxo cubes). The nurse said they wouldn't stop coming out! I never thought a little thing like that could cause so much pain and diminish ones quality of life like that. I feel like a new person
  • Posted

I had mine removed as a day case back on the 23rd of Feb this year. I went down to the theatre at 11:45 and woke up back on the ward at 1:30pm, and was discharged at 7:30pm. I took the ibuprofen on the monday night and tuesday morning, purely because they told me to at the hospital but as I was in no pain I didnt take any more after that. Yes its sore for the first few days - getting out of bed is like a task from the Krypton factor! My stomach was sore like I had been kicked but there was no pain as such, and I didnt have any of the pain in my shoulders that many people have from the gas.

Tuesday I stayed in bed, Wednesday I was walking round the house, Thursday I went for a walk around the block. It was very tiring and I needed a nap when I got back. I had a bout of the runs on day 4 which is quite common it seems but it soon cleared up. By the weekend the soreness was starting to fade and I was able to sleep on my side with a pillow under my stomach which was a relief as I cant sleep on my back at all.

2 weeks in I was coming along nicely. I was able to get about and went a walk round the shops. I risked having fish & chips from the chip shop as it had been so long since I last had them, and expected them to give me an upset stomach but i was fine.

4 weeks in I was back to normal, eating normally and eating everything I used to enjoy before the trouble started. I've only had a couple of episodes of a 'dodgy stomach' which i've narrowed down to Philadelphia cheese - Any other kind of cheese doesnt bother me though, Just philadelphia... Weird!

• Posted

Hey guys I Just had my gallbladder removed today and it went fine, except that they had to put a catheter on me and send me home with it until Monday, because I could not pee. They said it was due to the anesthesia, did this happened to anyone here? Also what did you guys do to help You get the gas out? Can I take gas-x? I feel like I have heartburn, what could I do ?
    • Posted

I am 6 days post-op and I know that the gas pains can be horrible! Unfortunately no gas medication worked for me, the only things that helped was getting up and walking a bit (or even standing upright if you want walk). Hope you get some relief soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.