Successful Pilonidal Operation with Graphic Images Included

Posted , 3 users are following.

Gday,

I just went to see the GP today, and he advised me that I have this pilonidl sinus condition of my natal cleft. I first noticed the lump forming about 7 months ago, but didn't do anything about it. At present, there is no significant pain, although at times, there is discomfort.

Am just wondering - how long did you have the condition, before it got to the point where it felt like you were sitting on a hot walnut. Your pictures, compared to some others I have seen, look a lot less invasive and painful - so if my condition ever progresses to the stage where surgery is required, am hoping they use the same technique used on you.

Any hints on how to deal with this, or was your case an acute onset?

Cheers

KB

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hey KB - i am a 27 year old male with the same problem. I have had surgery to remove a tiny lump under the skin at the top of the buttock cleft. in may case i believe it began as a small abscess which i assumed was a spot or small boil that would go away. however, continuous use of an exercise bike cause the area to inflame, swell up and eventually burst - releasing blood and pus discharge. Although not pleasant, the bursting was a relief cos it reduced the pressure in the area. It would heal up on it's own and i'd be fine for a few weeks (still feeling a small lumb under th skin). whenever the area was subject to stress or strain it would swell up again - like sitting for long periods - on a long journey for example - or lift and bending a lot - like when i moved house. I have found that stress seemed to trigger it too.

So after a year of just tolerating it I went to the GP who prescribed antibiotics to see if he could clear it up. Could really tell if they worked cos the time it would take for them to work was enough time for the would to heal up anyway. Eventually I was referred to a general surgeon who decide to operate (just day surgery). My would was very much like the one in the first pic above. After the surgery, I had an inch long stitched scar and just had to have it packed everyday after the stitches were removed.

All healed over fine - then a few weeks latter on a long car journey the swelling began again. At the moment I am just tolerating continuous cycle of swelling, bursting and healing - just don't have the time to be going into hospital and being off work etc. I will have to go back soon I think cos it can't just be left.

If I were to offer any advice it would be to not sit on it for long periods - sit on your side. That includes cycling, sitting in the car, at home on the couch etc - and do not do anything too strenuous - like moving furniture! It may be that yours doesn't progress if you're careful - but lets face it, it very difficult to live like this...u forget or you wanna keep fit etc. Probably best to see a surgeon asap to remove the sinus before it gets too big - they apparently follow the sinus (a tunnel in the tissue) to it's origin and cut out the whole thing. Then it's fingers crossed once the would has healed over.

This disorder really is a pain in the ass! No pun intended!

• Posted

Hi KB,

One of my collegues at work had a similar condition at the same time as mine but it was in his buttock, he has had 2 operations and lots (1.5yrs) of absence from work.

He is still not 100% and still suffers from lots of discomfort and may need further surgery on his wound.

My boss was amazed that I was back to work 7 weeks after the operation as he thought considering mine was in a very sensitive position.

Mine did have the occassional flare up and did weap slightly but most of the time it was just uncomfortable.

Its now been nearly a year since my operation and I feel fine and no re ocurrance of the sinus tract.

I hope you have the same procedure as I had.

• Posted

Cpubasher my friend, what is the operation called please?

Thank you.

• Posted

Cpubasher, as well as the name of the operation you had, please say whether or not shaving is still a must even after the operation (worriedsmile?

Thanks.

• Posted

The area that was affected was never shaved before or after the operation.

I cant remember the procedure that was used all I can tell you is that the operation was performed at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey, United kingdom.

Im due for a check up with my GP and I will ask next time what the procedure was.

The consultant that carried out the operation came from Farnham Hospital, Surrey.

Im still happy to report no problems

A Big Thumbs Up To The NHS :D

• Posted

Thank you for the kind reponce Cpubasher and I wish you all the best.
  • Posted

Cpubasher my friend, I hope things are going well with you.
  • Posted

Hello Yaz, please to tell you that the operation was a complete success and still zero problems to report.
  • Posted

For some reason my pictures on the post operation and my original post have been removed. Some body must of reported them as unsuitable even though the title clearly stated \"Graphic Images\" they obviously didnt understand what \"Graphic Images\" meant.

Oh well I wont bother to post again.

• Posted

[quote:9bbadd95d0=\"cpubasher\"]For some reason my pictures on the post operation and my original post have been removed. Some body must of reported them as unsuitable even though the title clearly stated \"Graphic Images\" they obviously didnt understand what \"Graphic Images\" meant.

Oh well I wont bother to post again.[/quote:9bbadd95d0]

Good afternoon cpubasher

I see from your name, that you have signed in as a Guest, unfortunately only registered members of Patient UK Experience can post graphics. I am therefore assuming, that if your pictures have previously been published, that you posted them under a registered name?

If so, please let me know the member name, so that I can try and track them down. When a post is alerted, whether it is being reported as being unsuitable or containing a graphic, only the Moderators can release them into the system. I have no recollection of your pictures having been reported, we in fact encourage photo's of medical conditions. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Lin

• Posted

Hello, its been a while since my last visit to this wonderful forum but good news is I can tell you that my condition is still 100% perfect after my operation at Frimley Park Hospital which took place just over 2 years ago.

I did also mention in my earlier post that a colleague of mine had a similar operation (Pilonidal Sinus) and unfortunately has just gone in for his 4th operation and is currently off work recovering.

What puzzles me is I was only off work for a period of 6 weeks and my situation has been trouble free, did I have a different type of surgery?

I will re-posted images taken shortly after my operation after my account gets the ok by the administrators, they dont look pretty but for educational use they might come in handy.

• Posted

Here are the images of my condition and following operation which has been totally successful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.