Such terrible pain!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a very painful cortisone injection last week into my plantar . I hoped it would help the terrible pain I have been having for the last 6 months but it's worse than ever now.I can't even straighten my leg let alone put my heel to the floor. I've been wearing gel inserts in my shoes and have now started wearing compression socks too. I'm so fed up😢 and have been reduced to tears for the first time today. I feel like no one understands the impact that this condition has on your life, I can't walk my dog, go shopping with my daughter or even just get on and do the housework. Sorry for the miserable post but am feeling really down at the moment.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie with this condition did the pain also travel up the back of ur leg I have been told I have this today and the pain is awful and is not just in my foot but in the back of my leg as well sad
    • Posted

HI, my pain is in my heel but because I can't walk properly I now have pain in my knee and hip! This weekend I have brought a compression sock which I wear 24 hours a day and also new gel heel cups for my shoes. I wear good running shoes from the moment I get up till I go to bed and over the last 24 hours my condition has improved slightly! But I also take ibuprofen and paracetamol regularly! Miserable isn't it? Hope you find some relief!

• Posted

Hi Jackie

i totally understand what ur going through I have had the same for 6 months too. I haven't had the injection but I am having physio and acupuncture with not a lot of relief. I have started wearing Birkenstock sandals which seem to help me a bit pls feel free to keep in touch don't suffer on your own it's so debilitating. I too feel nobody quite understands how painful this is Lesleyx

• Posted

Also pls be careful if taking ibrufen regularly my go has taken me off them as I took too many. Apparently they increase the risk of a heart attack. Stroke I'm just taking strong painkillers x

• Posted

Hi Jackie

How is ur foot I was thinking mine was improving I tried to wear normal shoes and tonight I'm in abs agony agn !! X

• Posted

Hi lesley, thanks so much for your messages. I'm sure no one really understands how dreadful and painful this condition is until they have suffered with it! I have had a mixed week! After the steroid jab just over a week ago the pain was excruciating and I thought I had made the wrong decision but day by day things have improved and I can now put my heel to the floor😀. I overdid things yesterday and walked the dog round the block so a bit sore again today😐. Still wearing the compression sock 24/7 and wearing my heel cup and running shoes but have been able to ease off the ibuprofen. So, not cured but a definite improvement! Have you had an ultrasound of your plantar? I have had 2. A normal measurement is approx 2-3 mm. a month ago mine was 7.5 and last week it was 8.5! Really don't know what I've done wrong! Hope you are getting some pain relief, I will try Birkenstocks, luckily my daughter works in a shoe shop so can get me discount! Regards jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie 

im pleased ur feeling a bit better what is a compression stocking pls I'm wondering if it would help me ! I have enquired about having this nerve conduction test. I've had no MRI just a scan by my physio which apparently does not go deep into the tissue. I am quite overweight which I realise does not help but getting to the end of my tether where do u live I'm in Bishops Stortford in Herts x

• Posted

I got my compression socks from amazon. They are a tight fitting sock without any toes that help the blood supply to the foot, give support and aid healing. I have put on weight in the last 6 months although am still within my BMI but am not happy with my weight gain. I have a very active job - working as a TA in an infants school so have had to work through the last 6 months of pain. When I was ok and active I was doing about 12000 steps ( I wear a Fitbit) by the end of the day so perhaps this is how my foot problems started. The scan I had wasn't an MRI but an ultrasound but it was carried out by a consultant podiatrist who I was referred to by my GP. I hope your PF improves, try the socks, you never know! I'm in Swindon Wiltshire by the way! Regards!

• Posted

I understand completely!! I'm in the same boat, haven't tried the shots yet but have had severe plantar fasciitis for 6 months now. I went from being very active and exercising to nothing. I've gained 20 pounds and the pain is terrible! I'm searching the internet every night looking for help.

• Posted

oh poor you😞Miserable isn't it? I was very active too and although I have an active job that I just work through the pain, there is no way I can power walk as I used to, walk the dog or even do things like have a good walk round the shops etc! I do feel though that I have started to turn a corner, as I said before, although the steroid shot at first seemed the wrong decision, my PF is starting to improve. Whether this is solely due to the injection or a combination of it along with the compression socks and heel cups also lots of stretching exercises I can't be sure but something is working. Don't get me wrong, it's far from back to normal but any improvement is better than none right? I'm also planning on buying myself either some Birkenstocks or Fitflop which I've heard are good! I hope you find something that works for you, regards 

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

I feel you...I have been having this pain on my heels for 2 years now...In the beginning it really hurts..There were times I barely had my heel touch the floor that I had to use cane to bear my weight.

I had those injection several times...First one lasted for 6 months, but the second and third only lasted for a few hours each. Even the doctor was surprised why the effect was so short. I rejected taking pain killer but when the shot did not work, i had no other choice. But still, I only take the pill when it really hurts or when I plan to walk a lot. I also use those soft insole in my shoes and it helps a lot. I don't really know what happened but the past 6 months the pain has decreased a lot...I only feel pain when wake up in the morning, walk barefooted or wear flat flipflop, or after I walk very long walk...I live in Paris and my joy is walking and explore the city..My GP told me that operation is not necessary, and so far I agree with him....With the help of soft insole and sometimes taking the pain killer, I am still able to walk 5 to 10 kms at one go, so I am happy....I hope you will find alternative means so you can also live comfortably with the plantar fasciitis...smile

• Posted

Oh by the way, I never walked barefooted all my life, but since flat flipflop did not work anymore, I wear FitFlop. It has those curvy surface and really support the feet. smile..
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments. It's glad to know that your pain has decreased now! My pain too is also much better, I'm hoping that it is permanent and won't wear off! Happy walking! Best regards!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.