Such thing as extreme keratosis pilaris?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have very bad kp on my arms and face. I pick on the ones on my arm a lot and it's all scars and I really messed my arm up. It's affecting me mentally too 

It's not like regular kp when u Google search. But it's similar and worse (a lot of it) and when squized a white hard substance comes out. What's difficult is that it's also on my face 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your skin is dry!   My son had it all over his arms and knees we started using a gentle soap for the shower and then he applies lotion all over..  It looks nothing like it did months ago.
    • Posted

thanks for the reply! omg yes i have dry skin . i got the lotion but i dont know where to get a gentle soap. could you please tell me which one you use.

thanks agian

• Posted

I think any lotion is fine but there is one called lumpy, bumpy that he uses....  But yes moisturize your body after a shower will help a lot!!!   We were using a body wash on the shelf with different scents and I didn't know if that was irritating his skin so I looked for a basic--gentle wash..   BUT really I think as long as you apply a good lotion to your skin, that will help a great deal.  Ceta**** soap is what we used in the beginning as it says gently on it.   

That brand also makes a basic moisturizer for your face-- I know many dermatologists recommend that brand.   But really you can look for a basic face moisturizer on the shelf and even read reviews on certain products.  And research what others find helpful..

• Posted

thank you again. i bought a baby body wash and nivea lotion :D
  • Posted

Have you tried lathering with soap and then brushing gently with a soft brush to remove dead skin .Rinse well. Then use a good emollient cream especially to soften the skin. You have to do this at least once a day...before bed is good then you can let the cream do its work while you sleep.

Please dont pick...it will only make things worse and can introduce infection.

If you can find a face cream with retinol in it or Vitamin A  that will help. 

Kellys advice is great.

• Posted

thanks for the reply

I've seen these beauty brushes for face that vibrate or spin. are they good? also i only have a simple lotion and have no idea what cream to buy for exaple that retinol cream should I just tell my gp to prescribe that for me? and about vitamin A, can i buy the capsules and empty the oil inside it and use it for my skin?

i am very scared for infection because right now its all scarred and messed up

thanks again

• Posted

Those electric skin brushes/buffers are fine but only use them very gently or you will have sore skin. A babys very soft hairbrush is fine or if you are in UK get a small circular face washing brush from Bodyshop. As you say your skin is dry,use any brush very very gently at first.

Try the nivea cream/lotion first before getting anything with retinol in...which can be quite drying and may not suit you. You can try taking vitamin A capsules by mouth as directed on the container.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.