Suda monas

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I've been told I have a bug colonised in my lung called Suda Monas ( not sure of spelling) apparently it only affects people with bronchiectasis, when it flares up I have to have strong antiobotics, anyone else know anything about this? 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia14760. My husband was diagnosed with Pseudonomas infection. He was extremely poorly and received antibiotics IV for ten days. This infection is very hard to get rid of and the antibiotics may just damp it down. My husband is due today to see Resp Consultant, I'm hoping he can have Colomycin which he would receive through a nebuliser. He already has a nebuliser but this would be a seperate one. His COPD has really taken it's toll on him. X
    • Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for your reply. I was on colomyson a couple of years ago but it didn't give me any benefit then. Maybe I should try it again now, I might mention it next time I see consultant. The antiobotics I usually take is cypfloxacin ( spelling again sorry) the phlegm is usually a bright green colour when I have this but now when I have an infection I have to put in a sputum sample before I'm prescribed antibiotics I get so many different bugs. Sometimes I have to take for 2 weeks along with steroids before I feel any better. I've been feeling ill for over a week but just today think it's another flare up, no sputum  sample as yet but hopefully will manage one today. Fortunately my community nurse is due tomorrow, she always makes me feel better. 
    • Posted

Hi ,just thought I'd mention ,what my cold consultant told new ,he said that when I have the start of a chest infection to send a sputum sample in before starting antibiotics ,,,,,and to always have them and steroids at home as a back up ,,,,and the antibiotics should always be a taken for two weeks ,

best wishes ,

• Posted

Hi Julia14760, I'm sorry your Colomycin didn't work for you, I was really hoping to discuss this later with my husbands Resp Consultant. Yes he does have to do sputum samples this is how his sudonoma was picked up. He was very unwell. We have rescue Prednisilone and Amoxycillin, good idea to take them for ten days. I wish you well and will let you know how this appoint goes. Had to have paramedics out Friday night, again, he was Guinean Oxygen but thankfully not admitted to hospital this time. X

• Posted

Hi Nanny, yes I have doxycycline and predisolone at home always but I still have to wait foe sputum results as doxi are not always suitable, which means I can't start treatment straightaway which is frustrating but better than taking wrong pills for a week which are no use. I just feel so ill at the moment, as we all do now and again with this awful disease. 
    • Posted

Hi Julia 14760, yes if you can wait for sputum results then all the better than you can receive the right antibiotic. Yes it's an awful disease, bought it home to me again today whilst watching my husband trying to get dressed and ready for appoint later today. Breaks my heart, I feel so sorry for you all suffering in this way. Thoughts are with you all.
    • Posted

Hi Julia, yes we have to wait for the results ,,,,,but i always send in the sample and start my antibiotic straight away ,,,,,then when the results come back a couple of days later I'm prescribed a different antibiotic ,,,,,if nesasary ,but at least if I take my standby( doxycycline ) I've had a couple of days start ,that's what my copd team told me ,especially if I start an infection on a Friday ,when it could possibly be Wednesday/Thursday before results are in ,wishing you good health .
    • Posted

Thank you Susan for your reply, warm regards to you and your husband xx
    • Posted

Hello again Nanny, I might just try taking my standby, I've tried all day to get a sputum sample without success even with exercises etc, hopefully the doxy will be the one I need, it was last time. Warm regards xx
    • Posted

Hi again ,you seem to be struggling to get a sputum sample ,,,have you tried the huff cough ? Or even try ,,,,hot water in a bowl ,put a towel over your head and inhale the steam that might help loosen it ,or try Carbocistine tablets or mucodyne . They should help, good luck ,
    • Posted

I've tried the huff cough etc, not the steam I'll try that, or the tablets, I'll see if the steam works first, Thankyou x
    • Posted

Hi Julia 14760, well just returned from hospital. Waste of time. I'm angry as it has taken it's toll on my husband just getting ready never mind the journey. Didn't see His Consultant, saw a Resp nurse. The Colomycin was discussed it was all going very well really. Then she decided that as the bacteria was now in fragments and not full blown he couldn't have it. We have to go again Thursday to see Consultant and take in more sputum samples. Have appoint at O2 clinic tomorrow, it's just all too much for him at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, so sorry your trip to hospital wasn't fruitful, I get annoyed when I'm expecting  to see the consultant and only see the copd nurse, even tho they do a good job it's still frustrating. Is your husband on oxygen, I'm on it 24/7 , the O2 nurse comes to the house twice a year now to monitor me as I'm a retainer. It is a struggle getting myself ready for appointments when I'm not feeling too good, by the time I get back home I feel as tho I've ran a marathon haha. I hope your husband feels a bit better soon, warm regards to you both x
  • Posted

Hi again Julia14760, sorry should have mentioned the IV antibiotic that was used for the infection was Tazocyn. X
  • Posted

Hi Julia 14760, no he's not on oxygen only when he has flare ups or hospitalised or sometimes we have to have paramedics out and they give it. We have appoint at oxygen clinic tomorrow. His levels usually remain around 95/96 so on that basis I don't think they will consider 02 at home. He is so much worse now, the last year I have seen a big change sadly in him. Everyday things now are like climbing a mountain for him. He tries very hard to maintain some normality but it's very difficult. He hasn't been to bed since January as he can't manage stairs any more. He sleeps in a chair, so he can remain upright. He also has TB, this is the second time in 3 years he has had TB. He has to be on medication for 2 years for it. My heart goes out to you all as I know how difficult life can be for you. Take care . X
    • Posted

Hi Susan, your poor husband is really having a hard time with this illness my heart goes out to you both. It must be very hard for you to have to watch your husband suffer knowing there isn't anything you can do to help him. Take care cc
    • Posted

Hi Julia 14760 yes its very difficult and it really brings me down, but im not the one to be worrying about, its you people i feel for. Xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.