Sudden anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 9 months post op TKR. Had the usual ups and downs but thought I was doing ok.Still exercise regularly but find walking on grass quite scary and haven't stairs to try going up and down on.My main worry at the moment is I'll be out shopping without any aids but I suddenly stop and cant move for a while and I don't know why.I feel quite scared.Has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you overcome it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Pat,

I am two months post op. second TKA/TKR operation. This time the more demanding and more painful Two-stage revision. PT and home exercise all painful but necessary. But we just have to soldier on. My "bend" is limited. Hopping down the stairs is hard! Told my wife we need a slide, playground type of aluminum slide šŸ˜‰ Upstairs never a problem. I love escalators only DOWN! UP Good exercise if stairs and handrail is available.

I like to go to the MALL usually after my hospital PT. Always with my forearm crutches. Later maybe one crutch. Also a wheelchair occasionally. All the MALLS and IKEA in Bangkok provide wheelchairs FOC.

With my crutches I always enjoy premium parking. Another benefit walking with crutches people don't bump in to you all the time. Also less standing in line! More respect, better service.

But as a recovering TKA/TKR patient more important ; LESS PAIN when walking and standing in public areas. I recommend crutches and getting out of the house. CABIN FEVER PREVENTION (CFP)

Regards, Bangkok-Johnny

• Posted

Ann,try a little foot peddle exerciser, you can sit on the couch watch the telly and peddle away,this keeps your knee mobile and will strenthen them without even realising your doing it,there cheap but effective.

• Posted

Good Morning

i can understand how u feel i too have lost my confidence had my op on june 21st this yr lots of problems with knee going up/down stairs very painful walking on un-even pavements grass is the same but better when iā€™m using my stick and taking pain meds we both still have a long way to go so its stay strong and keep positive x

• Posted

Hi,

I'm no expert but it sounds like a mild panic attack. Maybe the trauma of TKR has brought it on.

Found this bit of advice on a site.

"To ā€œgo with itā€. This is similar to the meditational idea of ā€œdetached acceptanceā€. Test out whether the panic will really harm you by riding it out. Stay in the situation if you can until panic subsides. Learn that although very unpleasant panic isnā€™t dangerous and wonā€™t cause lasting harm"

Again I'm no expert but used to suffer panic attacks from being in inclosed spaces e.g. elevators.

• Posted

I am 3 months post op and do well walking on smooth surfaces, but also feel anxiety on uneven surfaces. Snow is here now and I am petrified of falling. I have always been nervous of falling, but now it seems worse. Do you use a cane?

• Posted

No I use one to walk in the garden on the grass but Ive been fine out walking without and its just lately In getting these anxiety attacks but thank you for your help .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.