Sudden blurred vision, out of it, fatigue, tight throat, pain in back of neck and skull for 5 months

Posted , 15 users are following.

HI there, I want to start by saying that I am going to be as thorough as possible with this post so be patient as I will be entering a lot of information starting with when my symptoms started exactly. 

For starters, I recently turned 20 years old and am entering my third year of University. I am an athlete and have been active and in good health my entire life. About 5 months ago, I was living a pretty normal life until one day my symptoms started. I remember it like it was yesterday, I hadn't gotten much sleep one night and had also been drinking that night. The next morning I had to wake up early to help set up for a super bowl watch party. Obviously I was sort of hungover but I didn't feel any different than usual. My friend and I went to the store to get some stuff, and suddenly I started feeling a strange "out of it" sensation. I felt dizzy, had blurred vision, and I remember having a tight sensation in my throat or feeling like there was a ball stuck in it. I figured maybe it was from the drinking and although I was worried I figured it would be gone when I woke up in the morning. 

Well, it didn't go away the next day and a day later when I was walking on campus towards my first class, I just couldn't make it there and felt like I was going to pass out. Since these symptoms first started, I have had good days and bad days, but ultimately my main symptoms have been blurred vision, a constant brain fog, sensitivity to sound and light, stiff feeling in back of neck and base of skull, fatigue, feeling like there is a notch in my throat. 

To date, I have had blood tests done, blood sugar tested, blood pressure, and an eye exam. Also it's not my heart because I had an EKG done a year ago when I was having shoulder/chest pain, turned out to be muscular. i have also been given sinus and migraine medication even though I knew it wasn't either of those causes. 

Ever since this started it has affected my grades, as I have had to walk out on exams for fear of passing out, it is affecting my personal relationships because anytime someone wants to hangout I just feel like I can't because I feel out of it and don't feel up to do anything at all. I have been working our 4-5 days a week since I was in high school it has been extremely hard to keep on working out since this started. I am tired a lot and have no drive. 

Based on my symptoms the main things that I think it could be and haven't been tested for would be a chiari malformation, lyme disease, Atlas sublexation in my neck, or something else. 

If any of you have any information that may help me with this, I would be so grateful, I really just want my life back and will do anything to get better. Thank you. Let me know if you need any more info. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to read you are having these difficulties at the same time glad to read this.  I have been experiencing similar symptoms.  I am over 40 and these symptoms are relatively new.  Have you had any new updates?  I don't drink often but I can no longer handle certain alcohol.  I'm on my 3 round of medicines to try and help the vertigo.  This feeling is terrible the brain fog really makes me feel out of sorts.

• Posted

I had the same symptoms for 6 years, then was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Basically what happened was that the brain did not enter stage 3 and 4 of sleep, without me actually noticing that I am sleep deprived for a while, the sleeplessness accumulates for a while and then sudden break down happens: dizzy, blurred vision, migraines, poor concentration. It feels like the world is de-fragmenting, when I look at it. Because I didn't know why I am having these sensations, immediate anxiety attacked, where throat was constantly tight and I could not relax it no matter what  do. I had panic attacks from it as well, which I learned to control with self hypnosis. After I was diagnosed I was given amytreptilin before bed, and I also self-medicate with 8 drops of cannabis infused oil before bed, all of it significantly improved my health, all symptoms went away, where I would only get relapses twice a year for a while (same symptoms attack), usually resulted from stress. Top vertebra back of the scull migraines went away when I addressed hormonal problems. (Men get hormonal migraines too, Elvis and Einstein had them). What I am saying may be for some of you its a result of sleep related problems (fibro or sleep apnea) or hormonal problems. I hope my comment helps someone in this thread. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.