Sudden bursts of dark periods, not sure if it is depression.

Posted , 6 users are following.

There are times, in the middle of the night or a class when suddenly, out of nowhere, I get a sudden mood swing. Like I am spiralling down a path of misery for no apparent reason. I am happy one second and just miserable the next. I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months, have very low appetite. Feel lethargic most of the times and no amount of sleep is good enough. I get bored of conversations and like spending more and more time on my own.

I don't know if these are the signs of depression or not. Would someone help me out?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling too good at the moment.....you really need to see your doctor...

It sounds very much likely that you are suffering from depression....but the fact that you are losing weight is also a worry and a problem....sudden mood swings are actually quite common, but you really are best to get help now before it gets any worse....see your GP as soon as you can, and be totally honesty about how you are feeling.....

Wishing you well...hugs to you....Dee xxx

• Posted

I would suggest that they most probably are due to depression but whether they are or not Ivwould advise you to make an appointment to see your GP. Loosing weight in itself could be for many reasons and tiredness also. They need to be checked out. All the very best. Maggie

• Posted

That sounds a lot like depression. I don't want to sound like a lot of people with whom you've probably talked to (if you've talked to anyone), but you may need to get some therapy. You might be able to work through this without meds, & I hope you can! I hope you get this taken care of, hon. Feel better!
  • Posted

Hi, yo...Sudden mood swings is certainly a sign of depression.  Mine started out with agitation, sadness, crying, etc. One day my sister and I took our kids to see "Christmas Story" when it first came to the theater.  I was laughing so hard, and all the sudden, I had a panic attack, and had to tell her I was going to the restroom while I shook and was scared to death.  I just happened to have a valium in my purse, so I took it.  It took all day to get back to normal.  My strong suggestion to you, sweetie, go to the doctor and get something for anxiety and depression.  Anxiety and depression go together like two birds of a feather..lol....Hope this helps...
  • Posted

I agree that you need to seek help.  Don't you have a counsellor at school/college you can talk to?  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.