Sudden (but temporary) olanzapine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of suddenly stopping olanzapine? 

Due to some weird blood test results I have to come off olanzapine (10mg a day) for 5 days,  starting tonight. 

It's only a temporary stop and I will go straight back on it when I've had my next blood test, but I have no idea what to expect with 5 days of going from 10mg- nothing...

(I'm not on olanzapine for psychosis but for severe anxiety, I've been on it for over two years consistently now)

Thank you to anyone who reads this!

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello there

I myself chose to suddenly stop taking Olanzepine as my psychiatrist wasn't listening to me when I expressed I thought it was responsible for my dysfunctional symptoms I was initially ok for the first week but then I was hit by severe withdrawal side affects of extreme anxiety body temperature fluctuations and feeling extremely nauseous I rode it out but it took over 2 months I know now in myself that I was right I never should of been prescribed that particular drug as I'm way better off it

Everyone is different though so I hope u will b ok

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I  would have to say that it sounds dangerous.You need to taper the dose down gradually, so going from 10mg a day to nothing a day for 10 days is just asking for trouble in my experience.

Also, you need to taper the dose up again so once again going from nothin to 10 mg a day is going to cause problems.

Don't want to worry you, just to let you know.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up