Sudden change in perception of reality - what on earth is wrong with me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Ive had anxiety all my life on and off. the last couple years I have been completely anxiety free though. I was feeling good and living my life like every other person. The last couple months have been very stressfull for me (ex boyfriend harassing me and calling me names, dad being agressive towards me, friend ditching me out of nowhere) and out of the blue one night it was like a switch went off in my brain or something and my perception and feeling towards everything was different. I was watching a tv show at that moment that I normally love, and it suddenly had a gloomy dark vibe to it. demonic almost. In the first week of this, I experienced loss of appetite, nausea, gagging, shaky hands, hot flashes. Its the most horrific feeling ive ever felt and it doesnt seem to be going away which worries me alot, its been almost a month now and I just want to feel normal again, being able to feel the way I did before. ive had very bad anxiety in the past and dp but that was nothing and completely different compared to this awful feeling. Im really desperate to know whats going on with me, could it be just anxiety (I dont really think it is though) or pre psychosis, some form of dp, schizophrenia, or something purely neurological? im scared to death that this is gonna be permanent, I just want my life back.. please help me.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need to see a dr hun before any one can say any thing . You have gone through a lot and stress can do lots to your body I have axiety , depression but that’s because I got very sick . See a doctor asp get it checked out first.
  • Posted

I have seen my doctor but he also wasn't sure what it could be. its just such a strange and distressing feeling.

• Posted

Hi

Ask your dr to run some routine blood tests to check thyroid etc, then explain you are not happy with the previous assessment and understand that it has been stressful time but you can’t understand what is going on. Maybe an MRI to see if everything ok or a referral to neurologist? It’s your right to have this investigated. It could be endocrine related or neurology if not psychology. By any chance are you starting the menopause

Hormones play a big part in our lives . Before you see your GP, write down everything so you don’t lose your confidence 

Take care 

L

• Posted

thank you for your answer. I did have blood work done but it came back fine. I also had a CT done. I'm still waiting for the results of my neurotransmitter test and I'm seeing a neurologist next week. I don't think i'll be going in to menopause soon since i'm only 21 smile

• Posted

Awe still young I wish I was 21 She is right but in gbs you can not find gbs in a cat scan an mri or X-ray or ecg but it might not be gbs , Gillian Barrie she might be right could be some thing else . Do u live at home Hun . Do your parents no? I hope you will be ok and honestly every one on here are fantastic we’re all saying the same go in . No  21 my daughter had server anxiety , can play big rolls in ur body and stress can do it . Hope you don’t feel stressed by any one young age try and get some rest . Hugs
  • Posted

Hi, 

?This could very well be anxiety as you mention above.

?Like you, I have suffered - and continue to suffer sometimes - with what I will call clinical anxiety/panic attacks.  This happened today to me - and after suffering a bit I hit it with Ativan and Neurontin - which has helped a lot.  I first tried Ativan and then an hour later Neurontin.  The Neurontin helped the most I think - and I can now type this reply to you.

?Over the last year I have suffered with a different "flavor" of anxiety.  I stopped driving, I stopped traveling.  I had brain fog for many months.  I did not recognize this as anxiety - since my mind was having trouble working, I thought I had cognitive dysfunction.  I stopped watching TV, stopped reading books. 

I got quite depressed about all this.

About 2 weeks ago, this "sub-clinical" anxiety began to fade away.  No idea why.  No med changes. 

My mind started functioning again.  Looking back I can see this "sub-clinical" anxiety caused all sorts of pain.  The world really looks different now.  I now feel I can drive again for example.  I am sleeping better too.  

?I know what I describe above has many differences from what you describe.  

?I hope you find some good doctors who can help you.  

?And I hope what I have written above is helpful.  

Best, best wishes, 

Joe

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your answer. I defenitely recognize the things you're describing as well. I get brain fog alot and Im also not enjoying things like I used to anymore. It could be anxiety because everything seems very scary, even though I know there's nothing to be afraid of.

• Posted

I know Hun but better to go in did u get flue shot before this ? Did u or have you had any infections prior to this and one more thing do you feel inside your self your basically feeling any pain or wiered feeling . If so please go in . I hate this disease it’s an on going thing for me Just this year alone getting bit further then I got sick with infection 6 times cause basically if u have gbs ur not aloud to get another flue shot . Just try drink nice hot cup milk or tea try to relax if I tell every one go into emergency cause push to see some one dr are not diagnosing right basically till it turns out bad that’s what happened to me . Doctors are not like they use to be . Basically he’s right axiety can be crazy thing I love it every day but try to keep busy if u think ur panicking but try relax hun if like I said I really think you need to go in . Don’t leave till . Many of us they said the same thing oh it’s axiety oh depression yea well wouldn’t any one feel that it’s a terrible disease he basically explained exactly how I was same order to . Hope u rest take the day to rest . Hugs
  • Posted

Wonder how you are doing ..have you been tested for lyme ?

• Posted

Hi, I have and I didnt test positive for lyme. Im actually doing alot better.

• Posted

I have been experiencing exactly the same thing for a year now. How are you now? Did you solved this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.