Sudden chronic sinusitis for last 4 months -- Visited 3 ENT(s)/Allergist...Can't figure it out

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

For the past 4 months I've been experiencing sinusitis. I had never had this problem before (except for the occassional minor nasal stuffiness from being sick every 2 months or so).

I had moved away to college, and stayed in the dorms for 9 months prior to this. When I got sick occassionally, I did nasal irrigation with the dorm waterfountain (which I now believe wasn't smart), I took probiotics (Kombucha, heard they were good for you) & Vitamin C, and coated the front of my nasal passages with petroleum jelly to keep them moist (dry air).

In the 2nd week of May, I suddenly got hit with severe nasal congestion that made me rush to the hospital in panic, felt like I couldn't breathe at all. I was not used to congestion that severe. For about 2 weeks after that, it was pretty mild before it started worsening. That's when I went to see my 1st ENT. He glanced at it and said it was an infection, jumped to prescribe a 10-day round of antibiotics & steroids. They had no effect (well the doctor said it "helped a little bit" according to ct scan but I noticed nothing). So then he suggested "We can try another antibiotic or just schedule the surgery." (Balloon sinuplasty).

So I went to another ENT for a 2nd opinion (who performed another CT scan), which he said "Eh, this will go away over time. I don't even recommend antibiotics or surgery. Just do nasal irrigation and it'll go away."

So I went to an allergist, who tested me positive for allergies. Over the course of ~2 months, we tried different antihistamines and decongestants (Allegra-D, Claritin, Flonase, Azelastine, Prednisone, etc) all at maximum doses. None had any effect. The only thing that works is Afrin, which I take once a week or 2.

He referred me to take a full CT scan, which the other 2 ENTs agreed that it was hard to tell what was causing it (mild swelling, but sinuses are clear/open).

So now I've got to find another ENT to help diagnose my problem. This is really affecting my everyday life, I cannot think clearly or have enough energy to perform basic tasks.

I'm not sure how to pick the next ENT either, since all of the others couldn't solve my problem.

Can someone help?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I feel ur pain and have suffering for a couple of years now. the ENTs r usually at a lost on how to cure this ailment. I have been to many differnt ENT’s and nothing has been done by anyone of them to help me on a consistently find relief.  truthfully i have pretty much tried every thing. usually ENTs  go to is to precribe prednisone and antibiotics. which as u mentioned did  not relieve me of my symptoms. just letting u know u r not alone.
  • Posted

I have same for last few years.   Docs can t do anything.   

Had turbinate reduction surgery with little relief.  

Here s my regen so i can sleep.  

I take half a sleeping pill si i can sleep thru the stuffy nose. 

I use Xlear natural nose spray.  Spray then Hang head upside down.  I lay across my bed and let my head hang face up.  Come up and gently blow.  Gently.   Do 3 x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.