Sudden Concern for IBS/Colon Cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Let me just start by saying I have BAD ANXIETY. Thought I should state that before going on. Anyway, recently I had noticed a changed in my stool patterns and it was more so diarrhea than anything. Being the anxious person I am I started to google Colon Cancer and to my surprise I was experiencing a few of the symptoms listed. Later in the day I started to experience constipation, the feeling of needing to let go of gas but can't, and so on. I don't know if this is largely due to my anxiety or if I actually have an issue. It should be noted that my uncle suffers from Chron's and my dad has IBS. One more thing, I have had hemmorhoids for quite some time now and my mom said that could be an issue, but I would really appreciate some feedback to help take the stress that I have been dealing with off of me. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Putting the obligatory 'go and see your doctor comment to one side, there are many similar symptoms between colon cancer and IBS.

Haemorrhoids, to my knowledge, don't cause diarrhoea but internal haemorrhoids can cause the feeling of incomplete evacuation and can cause stool to be narrow due to them restricting space in the anal canal. 

IBS-A (alternating) can mean that you alternate between constipation and diarrhoea. There are a WHOLE bunch of things that, if you have a tendency for digestive troubles, can trigger them, so I'd start keeping a note of what you're eating, how you're feeling and when the flare ups happen. 

A doctor will be able to run tests to eliminate all other possibilities and confirm whether it is IBS or not. 

• Posted

IBS and crohns runs in families. Are you getting abdominal pain that moves about?  If you do, it sounds like IBS.  

However see your doctor to rule out other causes including Crohns.  A fecal calprotectin test checks for inflammation associated with IBD.  Since a family member has it,  Crohns and other forms of IBD should be ruled out.

• Posted

Yes I do from time to time feel a slight paid in my abdomen, nothing too serious.
    • Posted

Does the pain move about or stay in the one place?  Try kots of fruit or stool softeners for constipation and Imodium for diarrhoea.  Rice, bananas and codeine help with diarrhoea too.  See your doctor to get a diagnosis.

• Posted

Get some help for the anxiety first, relax, do yoga is what I was recommended. Anxiety brings on a s**t load of issues at least for me. I had a cold or asthma that lasted almost a year because of 1 anxiety attack. I also got IBS because of 1 anxiety attack. Anxiety is the devil!
  • Posted

I really think you need to see a doctor! When someone is worried about their health, once they get seen by a doctor and they have ruled out anything sinister, the symptoms quite often subside. It does sound like it could be something a lot less sinister though and could be anyone of the things people have already suggested to you on here.  Once you know what it is, you can take corrective measures to control your symptoms, so take a deep breath and make an appointment with your doctor. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.