Sudden diagnosis of Migraine at 44, Why???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've joined this site in the hope someone can help me. I'm a 44 year old male, reasonably fit and healthy, I don't drink a lot of alcohol and I eat quite healthily. Last year I started with facial pain around eyes, temples, nose etc. Sometimes its very localized in 1 eye, sometimes across my forehead but where ever it is its just awful.

My gp originally diagnosed a sinus infection but after antibiotics, nasal sprays etc he now says its actually migraines. I get these headaches now every single day without fail. I've been given a list of foods to cut out and have been doing this for 10 days now but with absolutely no improvement.

I don't understand how I can suddenly start with these attacks from 'never' to 'every single day'. Has anybody else had this and have they found any kind of pain relief that works? My gp told me to take 3 aspirin but that doesn't touch the pain.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello. When I read your symptoms and where the pain appears to track on your face I immediately thought of trigeminal neuralgia and not migraine. Is the pain worse when you chew food? This is one of the other signs. If this is the case then you need to be treat differently.
    • Posted

Hi Matron, thanks for your reply.  Funnily enough I have suffered with TN most of my life since I knocked my 2 front teeth out as a kid and did damage to the Trigeminal nerve. That pain is always an intermittent and flashing pain and seems to be set off by using cotton buds in my ears, scrubbing my scalp too hard when washing my hair etc.   What I have now as I type this is a constant aching pain in my head,eyes and even my jaw. It sometimes feels like a skewer going into my temple (it did this on Saturday night after a 3 beers).  Eating doesnt have any effect on it. 
  • Posted

i can only advise Blue but have you tried Imigran yet from the chemist, its expensive but over the counter, its probably what most of us use in some kind of form for attacks. The 50MG tablets come in a pack of 2, if these work then the GP can prescribe stronger and more of.

Obviously this doesnt give you a cure, but it will define if its 5HTP related and maybe help you get through it.

Cutting the foods is normal and the start of the road to diagnosis.

I find no painkillers work really only Imigran

• Posted

No not tried it yet, I'm still in the early days of the Aspirin not working but will give it a try tomorrow. By the way, what does 5HTP mean?

Thanks for your help :-)

• Posted

There's a lot of information online regarding 5HTP and migraines. It is an amino acid found in food and obviously in tablet form from health stores. In the USA it's licenced for treating depression and supposedly stops you from feeling hungry and helps insomnia. I believe it doesn't suit everyone and can react with other medication. As I understand it if it's lacking in your body you could be more susceptible to migraine.
    • Posted

Well I have suffered from depression so maybe this something I need to look into. Thanks again :-)
    • Posted

Imigran plays with the 5HTP receptors, if you google it its easier then i explain LOL. It works for some but not others. ive had chronic daily for over 20 years, and my preventative has been discontinued so at present i have about 4 headache free days a month. Im down to have Botox and a new Blood pressure tablet only availible in germany. Not got the dates throough yet though rolleyes. Imigran was great for me though, makes my day livable. When i was on Methysurgide, the wonder drug i called it, i had 6 months with only 50MG of Imigran. Just my luck they stopped maiking it.....
  • Posted

Hi,

I have every sympathy with your pain, it is just so frustrating. Are you under a lot of stress? Have you lately been eating a lot of cheese, chocolate or citrus fruits?

I over the years have found co-codamol to be a very good painkiller, maybe give that a go if your doctor agrees. Mainly though, examine your diet and see if you are eating a lot of processed foods. Are you relaxing fully and properly before going to bed? Is your stomach empty for at least 4 hours being turning in? Are you drinking a lot of caffeine -that I found was one of my worst triggers.

If it is a lingering sinus infection, my most effective remedy is breathing steam to clear the airways naturally and gently.  I also find fasting for short periods is a good way of activating the body's natural healing abilities. Be careful about aspirin, only take it after food as it really can damage the stomach lining.

• Posted

Just had another thought. My daughter suffered from migraines like me, my son and my mother when she was alive. My daughter booked a course of treatment with a cranial osteopath. He detected problems with the cranial bones which he worked on over some weeks. She has never suffered a migraine since she completed the course and that was 8 years ago. If you also suffer facial pain it just might work. Only problem is it's not on the NHS!
  • Posted

From the mid 40s, worth considering that your eyes will start changing - so eyestrain is a possibility. This happened to me around 44 yrs old.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.