Sudden drop in previously normal kidney function.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just viewed my comprehensive lab results and see my eGFR IS 54! For my age it has always been >60 which is considered normal for my age 76. All other kidney related results are normal. This test was normal Feb 1. The only change in meds was guafenisen/ dextromethorphan time release tabs for a severe cold I contracted at a crowded funeral. Iwas taking the remedy for a week. I suspect I might have become dehydrated . I hope this is not something autoimmune; I feel quite well.

I see my rheumy on TUES. Meanwhile I'm increasing my fluid intake.

Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The eGFR does vary depending on the other factors included in the calculation - it isn't a real figure. Dehydration and a higher creatinine can both contribute - and there is some evidence that guafenisen/ dextromethorphan can have effects on the kidney though usually with high doses and prolonged use. That is why they emphasise drinking a lot of water while taking it.

Experts were horrified at the concept of the eGFR being quoted for the "public", including non-expert healthcare professionals - it was done to see if it could be used to screen for renal disease and likelihood of cardiac problems but there have been cases of practice nurses and even GPs telling patients they have renal failure when in fact the single test figure was normal for their age.

This study

https://www.kidney-international.org/article/S0085-2538(15)52697-5/fulltext

considers that a figure of 50 is a better indicator of a problem even in the age range 54-74.

In any case, a single eGFR alone is meaningless - there must be other abnormal results, including the presence of protein in the the urine, and they must be found in 3 consecutive tests over a few months.

I'd say - no worries!!

• Posted

I did not know what that test was for and after reading Eileen's response it got me interested to see what mine had been. I'm not quite as old as you are, I am only 57. (I can't believe I used the word only. LOL) so mine has been as low as 48 and had been low several times over the last 3 years. nobody said anything to me about it and I guess I never really worried about it. according to the records they use 60 as the guideline at least for my tests. So anything above or below 60 was flagged as being abnormal. BTW I live in the US.

• Posted

My eGFR dropped after starting pred. It is currently 50. I noticed on my computerised records they had put CKD Stage 3 but had never bothered to check with me or let me know. I think they may have been trying to get QOF points as I believe they get them for spotting kidney problems.

• Posted

My rheumy expressed no concern because all my other tests are normal and I am not diabetic.

Thanks for all your replies.

i add another concern: I have been taking higher doses of VIT D3 for a target blood level of ~70ng/ml; normal range in the US labs is 30-100 ng/ ml with 150ng/ml considered toxic . We hadn't tested in awhile in awhile and we found the last reading as 99ng/ml. A report from INDIA where over zealous D3 administration resulted in reversible impaired kidney function. I suspect this might apply to me. THE remedy is hydration, discontinue supplements until remeasured.

NOTE THAT THE USA values are different scale than UK measurements: 50nm/LITER = 20 NG/ ML

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.