Sudden exercise-induced Asthma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, it's been quite a while since I've addressed this problem, and I have been ignoring it, but I really want to go back to the quality of life I had before. 

I've had asthma for a my whole life, very mild, easily controlled with a daily inhaler and an emergency, along with xyzal, zyrtec, singulair, etc. 

At the beginning of 2016, I made some huge healthy and dietary changes and I got off all my meds and I never felt better. I lost around 60 lbs. and made it to varsity in my wrestling team in high school. Unfortunately, I had to quit the season early because while I was on a 2 mile run in the winter, my right lung contracted suddenly, and ever since then I cannot get a full breath in that lung, and both lungs contract and tighten significantly when I do any form of exercise.

I got a chest x-ray, informed my doctor and even got back on meds for a month, but nothing has changed. I'm off meds again, and have switched to a plant-based diet in hopes that it helps my lungs. I'd just really like some suggestions on what to do and how to return to normal. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear your asthma is flairing up. You just don't wish yourself to be asthma free. Cold air will induce asthma symptoms in some ppl. Great job in your body changes I am sure that will help. But just taking yourself off medicine is not a good idea, follow the doctors advice. 

• Posted

Try taking 1 puff Ventolin 5 or 10 minutes before your exercise.  For some reason a lot of doctors don't know this, but it works very well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.