Sudden Food Allergy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

To start off with, I've never been allergic to anything. I've eaten everything just fine. I broke out in hives once last year but apparently those were stress hives (a lot was going on in my life, including my grandmother dying) and they eventually went away on their own. Aside from the hives I had no other allergy symptoms and I hadn't eaten anything new.

Yesterday, after finishing a yogurt, I noticed my tongue felt strange. Tingly, sort of. I eat yogurt often without any issues. It was a mint chocolate chip Chobani Flip. I had had a different flavor of Chobani Flip the night before without any issues. My tummy was upset after as well, but I have had nausea and an upset stomach for the past few days from the citalopram I started taking for my anxiety four days ago so I don't know if it was caused by the yogurt or the medication. I had a glass of milk this morning but was fine, so I'm not lactose intolerant. I had also just eaten a canned soup, but I didn't notice the tingling then.

Is it possible there was something in the yogurt I was allergic to? I've had mint chocolate chip flavored ice cream and as I said previously I eat yogurt all the time with no issues. I'm afraid to eat it again. As soon as I noticed it, I felt a rush of panic and thought, what if I go into anaphylactic shock? Or am I just worried over nothing?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My mistake, the hives didn't go away on their own, I took some medicine suggested to me by a coworker who always breaks out in hives and they went away after a while.

• Posted

What symptoms did you present with?
    • Posted

It was an almost painful, tingling feeling on my tongue. I'm not sure if that's the early sign of an allergy developing or not...

• Posted

Possibly the yogurt. It may contain aspartame or an artificial sweetener. If they do a low cal one there could be cross contamination. Try another brand and see what happens or make your own and save money! 
    • Posted

From what I can tell, it has evaporated cane sugar, not artificial sweeteners. I had this brand the night prior and it was fine. I'm afraid to try again but I guess I won't know otherwise...

• Posted

I didn’t present with allergies until one hot summer day, I went in the blow up pool, cold water, hives all over. Same again if it was a decent summers day, if I went in the British sea I would present with hives. Big, lumpy, raised white spots. Calamine sorted me out and after a few years of it occuring - hayfever tablets sorted it too. 

It’s really rubbish to find that something so small could trigger something as severe as this. It might not be this, I’m just here to give my symptoms and my thoughts. Fingers crossed it is a coincidence and it’s not too bad. I now take fexofenadine and it’s sorted out all of my allergic reactions but I do have bad dreams because of the medication. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.