Sudden Head Pressure and Drop Attacks

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with MD when I was 22. I am now 47. My right ear is effected. I underwent endolymphatic sac decompression one year ago. I'm on a diuretic, take multiple supplements and Serc 24 mg 3x day. Thankfully I have not experienced hours upon hours of spinning like did prior to my surgery. Recently I've be experiencing heavy head pressure that settles in one of three locations (the top of my head like a headband, across my eyes and around my temples or like a heavy weight at the base of skull). When this pressure occurs, I eventually get a strange feeling come over my eyes. If I turn my head, look up or down it results in a rapid spin of 2-3 rotations which causes me to suddenly fall. The spin will then slow and subside completely in less then a few minutes. The head pressure typically remains and my eyes will feel extremely heavy. Has anyone ever experienced this before? It will happen up to 3 times a week.

Prior to my endolymphaitc surgery I underwent a lot of vestibular testing with an audiologist. It did show a very mild case of nyastagma in my eyes when moved in different positions.

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm thankful I get a brief warning before it occurs. I can't imagine this happening when I might be driving.

All in all, I'm thankful that I had the surgery. I used to spend a full day in bed spinning.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Ronda,

Hope you are doing better. In 1980 at the Mayo I had a pin placed near my endolymphatic sac. When the sac expanded the pin punctured it bringing some relief. This helped some but became ineffective about 10 years ago. Then I had a chemical labyrenthecotomy though not quite complete. This too helped but I do have occasional bouts of dizziness and headaches. By this time I had lost all hearing in my left ear.

When I have a crisis I take niacin. The flushing effect from this helps.

With Meniere's every case is somewhat different. I had a few terrible bouts where I could not stand but the general problems is some dizziness, nausea which last for days or weeks during which time I get around and function.

It's a tough way to live.

Best of luck,

Tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.