Sudden hearing loss In one ear was misdiagnosed by 2 GP's and told I had blocked Eustachian tube.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I  had sudden hearing loss in one ear and loss of sensation in outer ear when driving to work had been experiencing tinitus for some while. Went to go next day as was vomiting,vertigo and loss of balance was told I had blocked Eustachian tube even though I had no history of any upper respiratory infection. Was given Buccal stemetil and was told it would clear. 7 days later went back to GP repeated same story was told it was blocked Eustachian tube and told it could take 4-6 weeks to resolve & sent away.  10 days later on return to work a colleague who is a GP said she would have referred me urgently to ENT. Unable to get an emergency GP appointment  I was eventually telephoned by my GP who suggested a hearing test and then return to see him 5 days later a Friday as that was all he could offer. I explained my concerns about hearing loss and that it maybe permanent after searching the net. I had the  hearing test next day at GP practice  unhappy  the test revealed no hearing in ear I rang surgery and spoke to duty GP who rang EnT and spoke to consultant . Assured I would be telephoned by consultant I felt mildly reassured only that was dashed as no one rang leaving me to chase everything myself. Eventually after a further day i secured an appointment with ENT who when saw me said the window of opportunity in trying to restore or save hearing is 10-14 days with steroid treatments. I'm awaiting a MRI and now don't know whether I will ever have any hearing restored  with a profound deafness in my ear at present.Has anyone has any positive  stories of hearing loss restored without surgical intervention? Really would like to know!  I feel seriously let down by lack of knowledge and care by GP's

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Gillian, what can I say? Sudden hearing loss is an emergency. Unfortunately, GPs cannot know everything, but this should not be an excuse. An NHS GP appointment lasts about 7.5 minutes in many GP practices, which is a very short time for some cases. Also, some GPs still have a "gate keeper" mentality and this is not suitable anymore in my view. I am very sorry you had this experience and I hope you recover fully.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It certainly helps others who might experience this symptom in future.

• Posted

I will comment on this link tomorrow in detail as it's late now x this sounds alot like what happened to me also... I'm a year on and still no better off, I'm going to have to have a baha fitted , I was treated for congestion for 2 whole weeks and I went completely deaf in both ears, then about a month later I had a bad ear infection for about 2 weeks x I feel your frustration by the doctors wrong diagnosis as the same has happened to me, I would never have been in this mess if they just sent me to Ent department instead ov just guessing and playing god with my ears, best ov luck with yourself, i would not wish this on my worse enemy.
  • Posted

I've just lost the reply I first sent you!  I was saying that my son and I have experienced let downs and false expectations of some doctors and ENT people.

Ive just changed my dr and she immediately sent my son to paediatrics who confirmed inner ear problems, but although they were kind and helpful (we haven't always got this treatment), they don't seem to know much more than me!  I've read a lot online.  My son has had a lot of ear pain for over 2 months and bad vertigo for over 3 weeks, he can only manage school part time.  He cannot stand or walk unaided. He has been put forward for MRI Scan.

none of this may be of much help to you other than I suggest you trust your instincts and keep going for help and advice.  Sometimes hearing returns, often after infections, and in my case when I had partial hearing loss after a burst eardrum for 12 weeks.  I wish you luck. L.

• Posted

Meant to say our previous doctor reported my son had dysfunctional eustaciantube and that his left eardrum was touching it.  This was after he claimed he didn't need seeing and we should be more positive, even though he is often in agony and I said he could not walk alone. (dr has been 'off' with me a few times. He then agreed to see him again.  He gave travel sickness and anti inflammatory pills which sadly don't help. This was week ago and now I have changed doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.