Sudden increase in PSA from 19 to 39

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, My husband will be 70 next month.  He has arthritis in the hip for some years,type 2 diabetes and last year was diagnosed with asthma/copd he on 3 different inhalers including one called spiriva.  The leaflet which comes with this inhaler stated to ask doctor if it is ok to use if you have prostate problems which my husband does.  We were told it was ok to use.  My husband started having regular psa blood tests back in 2002 and has had 2 biopsies and 1 MR1 scan.  His results have been as follows

May 2002 4.5

Dec 2004 7.2  had biopsy will was negative for cancer and was diagnosed with benign enlargement.  No treatment.

Dec 2009 17.5 another biopsy same results but suffered a bad reaction to the antibiotics.

Jul 2010 and Jul 2011   14.4

Feb 2012 21   This time because of the antibiotic reaction had an MRI scan which show enlargement but no convincing evidence of cancer.

Sept 2013 19.6

Feb 2015 19.6

Feb 2016 39 Gp is referring back to hospital.

My questions are is level of 39 likely to be cancer or could it be benign enlargement.  If I remember at the 2nd biopsy the doctor did say that there were some areas of inflammation.  I think he may have prescribed anitibiotics, but can't be sure.  Also the inhaler that I mentioned which is caused Spiriva could that have anything to do with the rise.  I would appreciate any views I realise you are not doctors.  My husband is not unduly worried but I as an anxiety sufferer am worried sick.  Thank you.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

My husband has prostate cancer, and has had hormone treatment and radiotherapy.

He also has sever COPD and is on three inhalers one being Spiriva. I am sure he would not have been put on that if it had any adverse affect on the cancer. He has to wait another twelve months to see if the treatment has worked on the prostate, but so far indications are quite good. His cancer was aggressive, and all biospsies were positive. I wish you and your husband all the best, I know it is difficult when several illnesses are involved. My husband also has heart failure to add into the mix. You must always think positive and trust your doctors, as they know what is best for your husband.

• Posted

Hello Thank you for your comments.  As you will see from my previous update my husbands mri scan did not find cancer and the consultant said that  other cancer doctors have agreed with him.  He is to be treated for a very large benign prostate, tablets which should shrink it.

My comments about Spiriva refer to enlarged prostates not cancer.  It does say on the leaflet to check with your doctor before taking if you have an enlarged prostate.  He did and was told take it but watch out for any increased urinary problems as it can cause retention.  Although he has been ok I had wondered if the spiriva might have caused some of rise in psa.  Doctors say no but I have found more than one person on line asking the same question as their psa had risen after starting this drug.  I wish you and your husband well for the future.  Thank you for your interest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.