Sudden Involuntary facael incontinence in a 78 year old

Posted , 2 users are following.

78 year old Husband on very high dose of painkillers - 8 paracetamol and 8 Dihydrocoedine a day. He also has had constipation for over a year - he is eating a poor diet - mainly Fortisips and a croissant despite help from a very good dietician.

He did not go to the loo yesterday or day before so yesterday took 2 Cosmocol sachets.  This morning he had terrible diahorria - all over dressing gown, bathroom et al. Whilst this is not pleasant he said he had no sensation of wanting or needing to go to the loo - it just happened. Should I be worried? He is 78 and has been complaining of weakness in his legs and ankles and pain around his hip bone. 

He did have kidney problems a year ago - function fell to 9% meaning 7 nights in hospital so that is a worry as i know with older cats bad diahorria can be a sign of late stage kidney failure.

Not sure what to do as maybe it is linked to the Cosmocol? But the fact he was not aware it was happening suggests nerve damange. 

At the moment he is sitting quietly and I am trying to get him to have some mineral water to hydrate him. I was going to call 111 for advice but do not want to panic as pretty sure they will tell me to get him to the GP  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krug22 I think if it was me I would get a home visit from doctor to check hubby out and for your piece of mind . Hope he gets better.
  • Posted

You probably should take him to the Dr...or...if you live where the dr actually makes house calls, even better. Nonetheless, a Dr should be consulted. Many older pts are given a regular nightly dose (small) of Milk of Magnesia just to 'keep things moving.' You want to avoid, at all costs, letting it build up to the point where a medical person has to 'dig it out' (please forgive indelicacy here!) ...it it becomes blocked. I am sure things will work out ok... just hang in there... Sounds like you are doing your best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.