Sudden muscle weakness, some muscle pain, twitching or "jumping" of muscles.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I am 28 years old. I had the flu about 2 months ago. After the flu, I started experincing an aching sensation on my left side. Shortly thereafter, My muscles on my left side got weak and now my right side too. I get slightly nauseous at night. I can't sleep well and now my muscles are twitching and my joints are popping all over. Some eye pain in the back of my eyes also. When this first onset, I was so tired that I would fall alseep immediately. Im still a bit tired but not as much as before. Ive had an MRI and CBC blood work all came back fine. Next, Im going to do a nerve study in a few weeks. Hoping its not ALS. Anyone else experienced these symtoms?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a symptoms came on pretty fast. My understanding is that ALS comes on a little slower than that. Extreme stress and anxiety can do unbelievable things to the body. Not saying that's what you have going on but a lot of times when everything else checks out its the culprit.

• Posted

The flu always causes me to have similar symtoms for a few years after the flu

• Posted

Really? Have you found anything that seems to help the symptoms at all?
    • Posted

The only thing that seems to work is rest and taking it is easy and not pushing myself, I have been off work since November 2016, I am recovering slowly, I have to avoid people that have colds or the flu

• Posted

Thanks Joe. I'm going to try to do a health fast this week

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been out of work due to this. However, its great that you do see improvement.

• Posted

Great. There are a few things to know.

1. You may want to check with your doctor if you have other health issues going on.

2. No solid food. I drank lemon water and organic green juice during the day and the broth from home made vegetable soup before bed.

3. First day is tough but it gets easier.

4. When you resume eating start small with fruits and easy to digest foods.

5. I felt worse before I felt better. When you lose fat quickly it can release some toxins back in your body. Just drink a ton of water.

Good luck!

• Posted

please have you seen your GP
    • Posted

I spent a week in the hospital when I was 17,,when I was 18 the doctor thought I had mono but the tests came back negative,over the years I have had every tests the doctors can think of, I am 59 now and still without a diagnosis
    • Posted

Yes, I have seen my CPC and now going back and forth to Nuerologist for different tests.
  • Posted

I had the flu that peaked on Christmas eve with a 103 fever for about 2 days. I too have aches and problems with a double eye infection about a month after that, late January. I can't sleep at night, feel off, like I have vertigo kinda, or feel like my brain is about to shut off. I twitch very hard at night, when I'm at that transition of consciousness and sleep. Sometimes it's my whole body, or a limb. They're hard jerks. I've had a lot of tests done, nothing is standing out but i'm glad I'm getting them done. Overall I don't want to move as I feel I don't have the energy. My whole body feels like a flat tire. Once I get started I can coast for a little bit.

So yes, ive experienced something very similar. I think all of this was related to the flu and for me the other infection i had which was too much for my body to deal with well.

• Posted

I agree. At night when I lay down it gets worse. I also feel the jerks and very hard to sleep. I have to go in for another test on tomorrow. I will let you know if I find out anything.
    • Posted

So far, the only test that showed anything was Vitamin D low. Have you heard anything?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.