Sudden off balance sensations

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, 

Im a 24 year old male and for the past 6 months or more i have been experiencing a hard to describe dizziness. I have had health anxiety my entire life so naturally this has been a terrifying time. I am currently seeing a psychologist who has done a degree in neuroscience and she isnt convinced its related to mental health issue/anxiety

Basically whenever i am in a sitting position, such as in a chair or something i get an off balance sensation. The feeling is what i can only describe as the 'jolt' you get when leaning too far back on a chair. It is NOT a spinning or an 'on a boat' feeling. 

ALSO

when i am lying down in bed i do feel an 'on a boat' and 'falling' feeling on my right side and on my back. Essentially whenever my head is not upright. 

Just for clarrifcation i feel these sensations when im either sitting up or lying down NOT changing between the two positions.

Other things ive noticed. 

- i find off balance when i look up down left or right. 

- Feel normal when walking or driving (still get the jolt every now and then)

- Have had tinnitus for years but its been worse since ear syringing (see below)

- I have changed antidepressants and nothing has changed

- I feel very anxious when it happens. 

- Tense feeling at the base of my skull. (not sure if related)

- 'TV static' vision when its dark

ROUGH TIMELINE

- went to the doctor about another dizziness and found my ears were blocked with wax

- had them syringed out (felt a bit dizzy while it was happening), they were a bit inflammed but otherwise healthy, i was supposed to take antibiotics but i was lazy and didnt.

- A week after i had my ears cleaned i started to feel like i was on a boat all the time. Sensation went away as soon as i started taking antibiotics so i assumed it was an infection. 

- Ever since then ive had the 'jolt' feeling and the 'on a boat' feeling when lying down

TESTS

MRI- nothing showed other than 'trace' fluid in left ear and a slightly enlarged vestibular             aquaduct.

Dix-hallpike- had it done by 3 different people, two were negative, one was positive so i                         dont know what to think about that.

Rinne and webber- Conductive hearing loss in left ear. 

EKG & Stress test (3 years old)- Nothing showed up on either test but dont know if its still valid. 

I apologise for the length of this and dont really expect a reply but i hope someone can help me because after all the searching online i truly feel like no one has ever heard of what i am going through. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like vertigo, motion sickness and the affects of anxiety.. Have you ever addressed the underlying cause of your anxiety? I.E what triggers your anxiety?? Sorry to be intrusive.. Sometimes when you confront what causes your anxiety and address it, you can then learn how to manage it.. Hope this helps?... Take everything easy 
    • Posted

Unfortunately i have had anxiety my entire life and i have never experienced anything like this before the last 6 months. I have been to so many councellors and had medications for 10 years but nothing helps the anxiety. 
  • Posted

Hi Riley, I’m so sorry for what you are experiencing, you will be feel at a loss atm. I can tell you my story there are some similarity’s. I had pressure and tinnitus for weeks but gp would say ears were clear, one day I stated to be sick so I went to my gp and she thought it was labrynthitis so she gave me an antibiotic and stemetil. I finished the antibiotic and felt fine for 4 days. Then all of a sudden I started to feel slightly dizzy again, along with tinnitus abs a horrible pressure in the base of my skull. To begin with the pressure would come on nearer the end of the day and when I tried to lie my head on pillow it felt like my brain was being crushed. I was sent for ct scan of head, apparently it’s ok, I’m taking 2 betahistine everyday along with pain relief. My neck is awfully sore to, been to two physio sessions and she said my shoulders were tighter than s body builder, so I’m now unsure if symptoms are coming from neck, ears or where, but I’m still in limbo with regards to what’s wrong with me. If I don’t take the betahistine I can’t function the pressure in my neck and base of skill is unbearable xx
    • Posted

That sounds very similar to me, especially the part about it being worse towards the end of the day. If i had to guess it really feels related to my neck if anything. At this point ive almost given up hope, only thing worse than getting bad news is no news at all. 
  • Posted

Hi...do you have indigestion issues like gatritis, gallstones or low functioning gallbladder or Irritatble bowel syndrome...how is your overall digestion?
    • Posted

Its funny you mention it because the same time 2016 i went through a whole anxious period because i was worried about my gut. I had horrible lower abdominal cramps that went away with a bowel movement. I had a colonoscopy earlier in 2017 and nothing was found. The doctors said it was probably irritable bowel. 
    • Posted

did they check your gallbladder functioning  or for gallstones ? the reason for asking these symptoms started for me after running in to these issues.
  • Posted

Hi it sounds anxiety related I've had all the test done all came back clear.The ENt told me to do this stand on the spot with my feet together with my arms out straight with me eyes closed marching on the spot count to 30 when you opened your eyes you should stop in the center l turn left I've got a weak balance system try that and see what happens? He told me its anxiety related he sent me for vestibular exercises it did help .What are you like changing surface of carpet to hard floor and in supermarkets sometimes I feel like I'm walking on a trampoline

• Posted

I tried marching on the spot and i seem to go forward and to the right. I have never noticed a problem with floors but i do feel strange in supermarkets. I forgot to mention it in my original post but whenever i am in a place with what feels like too much visual stimuli or a place with white walls i feel off. Examples of these are supermarkets, chemist, bathroom and toilet. 
  • Posted

l forgot to ask is your balance is worse when your anxiety is worse?when you stand on the spot do you feel like you are swaying?
    • Posted

My balance does usually feel worse when im anxious, but it all seems to begin with the original jolt feeling. The anxiety never causes the dizziness. I do feel its somewhat harder to stay still when standing on the spot than i remember. 
  • Posted

Hi, I have been told BPPV started this & the end result is PPPD. It took many doctors & test. Dr. Jeffrey Staab at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota gave me that diagnoses. He has done studies & interviews that can all be found on line. I am doing physical therapy at the National Balance & Dizzy Center, seeing a psychologist & taking Prozac.

?I have seen a lot of improvement, but am still far from feeling good enough to work. I have been out since 9-13-17.

I hope some of this information will be of help to you.

Deb

• Posted

Thanks Deb,

I have 3 or 4 tests from doctors and chiropractors for BPPV and they are not convinced that i would be a candidate for it. Whether or not that is the case remains to be seen. The chiropractor i last visited seemed fairly certain that i might of had an inner ear infection that left some scarring behind. He suggested physical therapy as well to allow the other balance systems in my body to compensate. So hopefully i will see some improvement.

I hope you continue to see improvements with your therapy. I hate dizziness, no matter what kind. 

• Posted

I may have something similar I have pressure headaches also feel off balance like walking on trampoline brain fog and weakness not sure what it is but really hard to deal with good luck everyone 
    • Posted

I think anxiety really flares up bodily senses.. I’m sure a lot of symptoms are more in our minds than in reality..Its hard to find a balance, however when you panic less, I find the symptoms become more easier to manage.. Dizziness and anxiety go hand in hand unfortunately 🙁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.