Sudden onset, and should they hurt this much?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In the last few months I've developed a lot of highly visible veins on both legs and feet, which is worrying me as 3 months ago I'd never noticed a leg vein!

There are many behind the left knee, these are a bit sore if they rub on a seat or I take a hot shower. On my right leg I have a large one from my thigh which runs over my right knee where it starts to protrude and goes 'wiggly' as it goes down the outside of my shin. This one is painful if I bend my knee fully as it stretches over the knee.

There are loads of spider veins and highly visible blue veins on my feet, along with some bulging ones, pain from the top of my feet and ankles is what is bothering me most, feet don't appear swollen, but I can't wear any of my tighter fitting shoes anymore, I can only wear soft loose fitting trainers.

I've been to my GP and he has not been much help, says he'd only really consider the one large vein 'varicose'. I don't really know what to do next, any advice would be welcome! Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi,

I do not know your name but that does not matter unless to be polite..

i have been diagnosed with varicose veins in some areas of lower legs at age of 60 Yrs.

They also came on suddenly but only in lower legs not thighs or crossing over the knee.

I also have spider veins around the ankles so it all ties in.

I do not also know how old you are or weight but let me tell you I am female weighing 9 stone or 57k so quite light yet it makes possibly no difference - it is probably hereditary so do you have other family members in the past or present that have similar problems?

Best advice is to walk regularly to aid circulation, your doctor can give advice re support stockings or hose to prevent more veins from turning to varicose - plus - never cross your legs - in bed or anywhere else!

• Posted

Thanks Kate, my name is Damien. I should have mentioned that I am 34 y/o male, slim and active so not exactly the usual type, but my dad does have them, although he didn't get them until much later.

I'm mainly worried that the sudden onset could be a sign of somethibng more serious? I'm having a few other issues too, my GP is sick of seeing me and thinks its mostly anxiety I'm suffering from, but I don't agree sad

• Posted

Hello Damien,

You sound young and fit!

I think that you have nothing more than some veins that possibly have varicosed and the correct thing you did was to consult your Doctor.

You say that you have other issues and Doc is sick of seeing you!

Sweetheart- if a doctor tells you that - it is a good sign!

Anxiety is a real problem for anyone - it tells you that you are ill when you probably are not..

Most people wherever they are suffer from it at some point in life and it can give rise to severe physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, aches / pains, weakness in limbs etc.

Everyone will suffer with something at some point - Be strong for yourself..

If your Doc is sick of seeing you then go see a different one - new eyes - so to speak. But do not worry or dwell on yourself!

• Posted

Thanks Kate, I am seeing a different doctor in a few days, so I will see what they have to say. I have had anxiety issues in the past (not health anxiety though) and I am anxious now, but that anxiety is being driven by the onset of real symptoms which speak for themselves.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Damien,

I am glad that you are having a second opinion, re the varicose veins potential.

you also say that current anxiety is being driven by onset of real symptoms - It would help to know what symptoms you have that you believe are real because believe me - when you suffer as I have done intermittently over many years - you do believe that symptoms are real!

It may not always be the case..

• Posted

My other symptoms are a stiff neck with a visible pulse on both sides, which totally freaks me out, intermittent chest pain, feeling cold all the time, particularly my feet and lower legs - this started just before the veins appeared, which is what makes me worry they are a sign of some underlying problem
    • Posted

I cannot stay on here for long but will just say that i too can feel visible or feeleble pulse on both sides of neck /throat. I think that is normal.

i certainly in the mornings while tense have some intermittent chest pain,

I also feel the cold - generally! Also some times get too hot!

This does speak in a way of anxiety relationship.

Perhaps someone could join in but especially we should talk some more.

I think at this stage is that worrying about your problems is the biggest concern - for you and also me :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.