Sudden onset axial pain 2 months post posterior cervical laminectomy. PLEASE HELP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

ON 13/11/18 I underwent posterior cervical laminectomy for pain and numbness which affected my right arm and made it weak and clumsy, not to mention it had no pain sensation.

The operation caused a major flare of my fibromyalgia but after a course of steroids things seemed to be getting better. Right arm is now feeling much better.

HOWEVER, last thursday night i woke in the middle of the night with a severe sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my back at my neck base. Since then the pain has gone across both shoulders, over left deltoid and down my left arm. Moving my head hurts and the only relief i can get is to lie flat so my head isnt weighing on my neck. So bad that i havent managed to get in the shower all week (sorry folks). All my GP has done is prescribe diazepam which is knocking me out all the time and making me woozy.

I even got so desperate i called the neurosurgery ward, they are sending out a clinic apt for me to be reviewed. We all know i could wait long enough for that to come round though.

Should i be giving in to total bedrest as dr thinks it may be muscle spasm, or is there likely to be another cause? The diazepam isnt making any difference and as im also taking MST, Pregabalin, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Codeine Phosphate and Oramorph to top it up, i dont see what else can be done? Ive a ten year old daughter who i dont want seeing me in this drugged state either!

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts because i feel i cant go on much longer living like this.

Many Thanks, G x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The only thing I can think of is that by relieving the problem of your right arm, it may have caused slight imbalance to your opposite side of cervical spine. Was any comment made at the time of the findings referring to wear on opposite side.

Mike.

• Posted

1. I had a lumbar laminectomy and the BEST drug to counter spasms was FLEXERIL. It was the BEST by a country mile. Even though I was not mobile, it allowed more movements than without it and allowed me to sleep.
    2. You should see a neurologist, ideally the same folk you saw originally and ahead of the appointment itemise on paper your pain and when you get it (day or night). The more info you can give the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.