Sudden onset floaters and flashing lights

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how many flashing lights you have to see before hurrying to the eye hospital?

Or maybe for how long an episode of them lasts?

If I had a retinal detachment on the way, should I be worrying about the massive amount of new floaters and flashing lights, right eye only?

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you have any other symptoms?? This could be the onset of migraine. If you have new floaters in 'massive' amounts I would say have it checked.

• Posted

Thanks, Margaret.

I have an appointment with the optician tomorrow but I was very worried about the flashing lights because they could be a sign of retinal detachment.

• Posted

tess...is it possible that you are super anxious....which I believe you are because you have attempted to go to bed and your still awake!

I think you may be super anxious about what you MAY have and the Dr. appt tommorow sad.

Try to take in one really deep breath right now...make sure it expands your belly and let it out...and I think that will at least calm you a little bit.

• Posted

Misssy, I am not an anxious person. I am pragmatism personnified.

I have effed up the diazepam again - that's really why i can't sleep.

The eye thing? Well, if the flashing lights had gone on I would have gone to the ER, but they stopped, so I'm not really that worried about retinal detachment.

What's keeping me awake is lack of diazepam, which I have figured out the reason for. At last! i called the diazepam doc today and told him I'd run out and he told me he'd see me on Friday, and that I would survive. And of course, he's right. he also asked me to try to figure out why it happened and I suddenly realised what had been happening.

Jim has a bunch of friends, all with AUD. They come round occasionally.

Lately, one of them has been just walking through our back door unannounced, twice a day, and he is doing my head in. Our apartment is completely open-plan, so there's nowhere i can go to escape him - and it's veery hot in London at the moment so most of the time I'm lying on my bed naked. Well, you wouldn't like a bloke to suddenly just walk in on you twice a day, every day, nd especially not with anything on........

Both Jim and I have asked him to STOP. He says he will stop. And then he turns up again, the very next day.

Today I met a friend for coffee and when I got back, there he was! I just walked right back out again. I feel that my personal space is being invaded. And all he talks about is his problems. He even came to tell us he'd lost his bus pass once. And another time he came to tell us that he'd cut his finger slightly.

I mean, WTH is going on? i don't feel that it's my home any more. Jim and I have been arguing about it, too, which I really don't want to be doing.

Paper Fairy suggested to me that I write this dude a letter, explaining all this. What do you think?

• Posted

Hi,look up Posterior vitreous detachment. Floaters and flashing lights. If it is this the process could take weeks to years. You should see an optometrist. While mainly beneign..accept for the troublesome symptoms which also can be ongoing,you DO have to watch for a retnal tare or detachment. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks, Lee. I have an appointment today. I already googled posterior vitreous detachment!
    • Posted

If u are in London then you have a good choice of eye hospitals so I would definitely go to the hospital. 

You have read the info on PVD so it is a no brainer really, your eyes are precious.. 

• Posted

I think you should LOCK THE DOOR, prefreablly with your husband outside.

Joking about hubby outside....but TESS..lock the door.

Write him a letter? NO...sit down next time he comes over...which may be today....and talk to him....explain what you did here...that you need to feel safe to walk around naked....etc..and that his recent pop ins are making you very uncomfortable....tell him the door is going to have to be locked and he will have to knock!

I think you probably have made a "passing" short comment to him and he has not taken it seriously.  I think you have to make it a point to make this a serious confrontation.

• Posted

Keep us posted,in betting on a pvd,i have them in both eyes.Xx
    • Posted

I think your boyfriend should tell him to call before he comes over.
    • Posted

Tess

The vitreous comes away from the back of the eye. The eye hospital will want toexamine the back of the eye to check for any retinal tears. That is whi it is very important to go to the eye hospital.

• Posted

Missy, both Jim and I have had serious rows with this guy. He doesn't pay any attention. He just agrees not to come..............and then turns up.

Next time he does it I will have an extremely serious row with him.

I will threaten to tell his wife, who I know, and she is a lovely person. She'll be furious with him. So that might work.

I don't WANT him to knock! I want him to stop turning up, full stop. And I've had two seriously nasty rows with him about it.

Anyway, moving on - the eye doc said it was a posterior vitreous detachment and if I got flashing lights again, to go immediately to the eye hospital ER, which I will, definitely.

• Posted

Ha ha ha. When my husband looks at his phone and sees this guy's number, he usually ignores it. Mr. Unwelcome calls his phone several times a night.

Now, my husband puts it on Silent, so at least we don't get woken up every hour or so.

• Posted

Oh dear

WHat a dilemma. I wondered if you could block his calls or change your number.

• Posted

What do the Police say about this harassment and the effect on your health/
    • Posted

Just so you know a pvd can take quite a while to resolve,after the first initial onset,i think its like 6 weeks,your chances of a retinal tare or detached retina go down significantly.i sill get flashes in the corner of my eye at times,at this point my doctor is not concerned and just stresses lots of flashes,hundreds of floaters which could indicate a hemmorage and a curtain or veil affect going across your vision which could be a detached retina etc. If i went every time i had a few more floaters or a few flashs i would live there. Mine has ben going on over a year. The firt 2 months though its very important. I went alot in the beginning. I did have a small hemorage once that scared the heck out of me,but the salt and pepper spots,which were hundreds went away and the small vein healed. Xx
    • Posted

So I read the PM first...so he was just sitting there today when you came home...are you going to talk to his wife?

I think you SHOULD.

I PM'd you about this eye thing...I don't get it...if they told you it was not "serious"...than why are you going to EVEN HAVE eye-flashes!

• Posted

I am not an Ophthalmologist!

I saw one at Moorfields Eye Hospital and after very thorough checks he made his diagnosis.

I am sure he wouldn't miss a retinal detachment and maybe someone else can explain the flashes - I see Lee said she gets them occasionally as well.

And don't get me started on seeing millions of little dots everywhere. I was told it might happen and it would go away by itself. So it started last night!

Oh, and I'll PM you about Mr. Unwelcome        xx

• Posted

I always have floaters...black ones.

I didn't get a PM about Mr. Unwelcome.

I got the first one yesterday.....but nothing else...patiently waiting.

• Posted

Was I going to send you another one? I am really losing the plot.
    • Posted

Aha! Now I need to know this quickly. I now have pepper and salt spots - thousands of them.......should I hurry to the eye hospital?
    • Posted

That wouldn't help. He lives next door, remember. He only has to walk for thirty seconds to get to our back door.

• Posted

I've just discussed it with my diazepam tapering doctor, because it has stressed me so much that I have effed up the tapering.

He said the Neighbourhood Police would be the best to deal with this, not a 999 call. So I'm about to get on to it.

• Posted

tess 

I can only try to help you from your eye problem point of view.I am not legally trained.

You appear to be in a very unusual situation.

• Posted

It's ok, I understand that.

Now I have thousands and thousands of tiny spots in my visual field, as well as the floater. Any thoughts?

• Posted

I had the same thing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.