Sudden onset of Insomnia and heightened anxiety and depression as a result?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am really struggling lately. I have had many good months being employed for the first time in 4 years and actually starting to become a member of society again. The issue is I can longer feel rested whatsoever. I am tossing and turning all night and never feel like I am going to sleep properly anymore. I wake up exhausted and with stinging eyes with big bags under them. My head feels like it has pressure built up in it and I feel drowsy and fed up 24/7.

Although I have made these positive changes to my life, I have been struggling with an alcohol addiction which I am now trying to contain. I have tended to binge drink and drink almost every day for the past 5 months and its taken its toll on my weight and mental health. The only answer I can give as to why I've done this would be all the added pressure from being back in work now.

Even though I've had this problem with alcohol I have still been fine in my new job until now. I am just shattered all the time even though I have had days off of the booze. I don't really know what has caused this as my sleeping was fine until now. Does anyone have any advise? I feel like I need to see a GP because I am completely miserable now and its really getting me down being exhausted 24/7. I feel ill even though I'm not.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. First off, congrats on your job. Insomnia is a worldwide problem & believe me you are not alone with this problem but you need to address your drinking problem as alcohol interferes with REM sleep. I know back in the day when i used to drink on weekends only i could get really drunk & only sleep 3 to 4 hrs no matter how drunk i was. (i no longer drink) this was back in my younger days. My question is, did you have depression before the sleeping problem? or did the depression come after the insomnia started. Sometimes there can be a fine line between the two. It sounds to me that you have become anxious about not being able to sleep & this makes the problem alot worse. (believe me i know) & so do many others on this site. I would advise that if it continues to speak to your doctor but i do feel that addressing your drinking should help to alleviate some of your sleep issues. Good luck.

• Posted

I have similar symptoms, minus the alcohol addiction. Have you found out what's happening?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.