Sudden onset of migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 57 year old female who would go years without a headache, but several months ago I started getting awful ones nearly every single day! Nothing helped to relieve the pain. I even wake up in the middle of the night with headaches. I saw my GP on June 19 and he prescribed propranolol, 60mg once a day. At first, it seemed to help a lot. Now I'm back to having them every day. I'm seeing him again in 3 weeks. I'm so discouraged! I have gone from NEVER having headaches to getting bad ones every day! This seems very strange. Is there anyone who can relate?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 61 year old female and although I've had migraines since I was 17 they were always controllable. The last 15 years they have got increasingly worse. I have been prescribed nearly every preventative medication. Since just before Christmas I have started to get them nearly every day, my GP referred me back to the neurologist and I have had an MRI scan, which I am now waiting for the results of. You need to go back to your GP and see if you can change your medication. Have you actually been diagnosed with migraines? If so, there is Sumatriptan, which you can take at the start of a headache which in most cases will relieve the pain. Sorry if this hasn't been much help but just to let you know that there are many of us suffering. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for responding. I haven't been officially diagnosed with migraines. June 19th was the first time I've talked to my doctor about them. He did a basic neurological exam and said he's not worried that they're anything neurological. I have another appointment with him in a couple of weeks but I'm thinking I don't want to wait that long. These headaches are seriously affecting my quality of life. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.