Sudden onset of OA in multiple joints? Or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

In the past few months, I have developed pain in a number of joints. The first was my knees, which I've had problems with for years. Then, around 2.5 months ago, I developed major pain in my shoulder. I assumed it was due to an injury because it came on suddenly. The pain has since abated, but it is still there and I have developed a lump on the top of my shoulder.

I've had x-rays on both areas, and doctors are telling me that the source of both joint pains is osteoarthritis. I've also had ultrasounds on my shoulder and they have said the same.

I do believe that I have OA in my knees, but the pain that has been giving me problems lately is located in only one knee and it is more of an acute pain that occurs when I'm walking or bending my knee than it is a dull ache with stiffness. It feels more like an injury to me.

The diagnosis of OA in my shoulder, however, does not make sense to me.. Firstly, I have read in multiple articles that OA in the shoulder for people under the age of 50 or 60 is rare. I am 42 . Also, the pain I experience in my shoulder is not a deep ache but more of a sharp pan when I perform certain movements (like putting on or taking off my bra). Finally, I have no stiffness whatsoever in my shoulder which I have read is a common symptom of OA.

The other day, I started experiencing pain in my upper back/neck area. It came on very suddenly and intensely at first, but has since abated and is now presenting as intermittent pain and stiffness in that area.

I am concerned that something is going on that either isn't OA or that is accelerating the OA in these joints. It seems highly unlikely to me that I would develop OA in all of these joints within a short period of time without there being some connection or catalyst causing it. I have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis but this has come up negative. Does anyone have any thoughts about my situation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I have very similar issues with my neck and left shoulder blade (Scapula) I have stiffness every morning which is intense but eases throughout the morning, but gradually increases as the day goes on. it's been going on for a year and have yet to have a diagnosis. all my symptoms and MRI results point toward Osteoarthritis, but my doctor is yet to verbally diagnose me. from research I have done arthritis in the neck (Cervical spondylosis) can refer pain to the shoulders and if like me you have a trapped nerve (due to osteophyte formation) send pain down 1 or both arms. I have two herniated discs in my cervical spine that have formed osteophytes (Bone spurs) one of these is narrowing my foramen (Space between the vertebrae) causing nerve irritation (Cervical Stenosis). these are all common in the over 60's as part of general "Wear and tear" but at your age and my age (32) I believe about 10% in the UK. I hope this helps a little and your pain eases. can I also add that OA can form rapidly, osteophytes ( Bone spurs ) can form in a matter of days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.