Sudden onset of sensitive teeth on right side of mouth.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Within the past week, about 5/6 of the teeth that comprise the right side of my mouth (both on the top row and the bottom row) have suddenly become sensitive. It started with just one tooth - a tooth that I've known to become sensitive every now and then - but I'm seems to have 'spread' to other teeth (that's what it feels like, anyway). I've never had a toothache before, but from hearing about the agonising pain that people tend to experience with one, I can conclude that is just an annoying sensitivity. The teeth aren't sensitive to temperature, but pressure. If I run my tongue over the teeth, I feel a nerve sensation. It isn't exactly painful, just rather annoying and uncomfortable. Even when my mouth is still and I'm not running my tongue over the teeth, I can feel a level of sensitivity in the teeth - a kind of dull tingling sensation. A part of the gym on the top row is a bit sore, too.

I'd be willing to accept that this could be a symptom of a cavity or infection, but with SIX teeth? And how likely is it that symptoms would present at the exact same time for the six teeth?

It is wise to add that I suffer from general anxiety, and prior to this issue I was already extremely anxious about an approaching dentist appointment regarding a bit of discolouration on a tooth on the other side of my mouth (which doesn't present with any pain) which I've gotten worked up about, so I understand that anxiety could be contributing towards this.

I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this matter - what might be causing it etc.

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

One cavity can produce pain in all its neighboring teeth so that is not surprising. So my best guess is that you have a tooth on both upper and lower with a problem. Before going to a dentist look for one that specializes in fearful patients. They do exist. He/she will work with you and help deal with you fear.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment! One of the sensitive teeth is a tooth that currently has a filling (which I'm getting replaced privately as it's mercury and I've researched the dangers of mercury amalgam fillings) - this one is a molar. The majority of them, however, aren't molars (they're the the upper and lower canine, and the one next to them on the inside). I always thought that cavities were rare on teeth that aren't molars or premolars for the lack of pits and fissures for bacteria to enter through - maybe I'm wrong?

• Posted

I'm sure your right about it being less normal then the other teeth but certainly not unlikely. I have one on the back of my front tooth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.