Sudden onset of side effects of Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for about 6 years now and have NEVER had a problem with it until about a week ago. After a night of drinking, I woke up feeling in a fog, light-headed, and feeling extremely anxious. I've had trouble concentrating, pupils have been off, and have this constant ringing in my ears. I've seen my doctor (and actually went to the ER) and everything else is normal and they all say its anxiety and actually increased my dose of citalopram. from 20 to 30, and I will go up to 40 in a few days. However, I feel like this may make the side effects worse? I am starting to feel a little better but still feel foggy and the rining in my ears is bad. Just wondering if this will ever completely go away?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I imagine it was the result of drinking alcohol, and then your body no doubt needed time to readjust back. Increasing meds won't stop the symptoms you experienced, and especially not in a hurry either, but instead added more side effects on top.

I think it's just a case on riding out those symptoms and let you body recover from the mix of alcohol and medication.

Alcohol affects the brain, and so do the meds. Everyone is different and no 2 people could drink and feel the same afterwards ..... so I suspect drinking alcohol whilst on these meds isn't for you.

I'd stay clear of alcohol - it isn't recommended, and says in the Patient Information Leaflet too.

You're feeling a little better you say, so seems like you're recovering already. So yes, it will go away.

Keep safe xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your input! I did imagine that it could have been exacerbated by drinking but it just puzzled me because I've been a social drinker on the meds and it has never affected me for years until now. Again, thank you for the helpful advice smile

• Posted

Hello again sorry to keep messaging lol. I used to have a drink and I was fine for about 5 years all of a sudden I drank one night and bang next day I felt like I was back to square one and increased my dose. Hope all the information has helped you as I went through this 2 months ago xxx
    • Posted

Yes I was a social drinker when on the meds and didn't have a problem with it affecting me either.  Maybe there was something wrong with the drink?  Wasn't spiked was it?

Maybe just go back to being a social drinker again - maybe it was 1 too many on the night?

wink

• Posted

Hello I no how u feel I had to up my dose coz of a night out drinking I was on 30mg for about 5 years then went up 40mg around 8 weeks ago I had all the side effects again and it hell for the first 2 weeks I think when you increase your dose you have to hold it out for around 3 weeks each time to feel any better. I'm defo not drinking again ever!! I felt awful. Xxx

• Posted

And for side effects yeah they will ease off I found it took about 3 weeks for them to ease off with every increase I had. Ringing in the ears were really bad with me too but that has eased off a lot now. Just takes time to get into your system after every increase annoying I no but citaloptam are slow at building up in your system xxx
  • Posted

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for about 4 or 5 yrs now and I used to have a drink at Christmas and sometimes on my birthday before I started taking Citalopram since taking it I can honestly say I have not touched any Alcohol at allĀ 

It does say on the pack not to have Alcohol while taking it and I have always been too afraid in case of any side effects

When we go out I am quite happy to have fruit juice and no-one takes any notice that I dont drink Alcohol I used to think that friends might think I was a spoilsport if I didnt have a drink but if anyone asks I just say I cannot drink as I am on medication I certainly dont miss Alcohol at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.