Sudden onset of symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

The past week has been very stressful and I am hoping I could get some relief and answers prior to seeing the neurologist this week. 

This past Monday while sitting I had a sharp cramp on my inner thigh halfway down the groin.  It only bothered me for the next 24 hours when sitting or laying down.   On Tuesday the same exact pain then went to the right leg in the same area with some muscle tightness.  Wednesday morning I woke up in the middle of the night with a throbbing behind the knee. Wednesday afternoon I got a quick pins and needs down my right arm and decide to go to the hospital.  The hospital ruled out DVT and my blood test were normal and they said to follow up with a nuroelogist.  Thursday and Friday I never noticed anything until Friday night when I got A tightness burning in my calf which has resulting in twitching up until today. 48 hours later now when I walk I have the twitching and tightness in the calf muscle. It hurts when stepping on my big toe. But when just sitting down or laying down the twitching/ spams are in the calf. No pain just discomfort.  Some twitching has occurred very rarely through my inner left thigh and over my heart chest area.   Researching the internet has exacerbated my stress beyond belief.  I am going to a nuero this week but if anyone has any insight it would be a big help

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a inflammatory situation. Had you had cramps before? Or this is the first time? Did they check your pottasium magnesium? Were you dehydrated? Twitching and cramps happen when you lack those things I listed. Plus over exercising without hydrati g enough. You spund like my brother. He doesnt drink enough water or eat right. He works doing roofing and gets this when he doesn't take care of himself. Vitamin d3 needs to be checked too.

It is probably something simple since it happened so suddenly.

• Posted

I have never gotten cramps before.   They checked for all and the blood test were negative. The past two days because of the sudden twitching I have been taking magnesium pills, b12 pills and eating bananas on my own. .  Additionally I have been drinking Gatorade.   There has been no change in the symptoms. 
  • Posted

Have you recently been ill in past 4 weeks or any vaccines?

Is the twitches only in the calves? Do you have high anxiety? Which I don't believe caused it but may be upsetting you more and making the twitching worse. Don't read anything on the internet it will scare the carp out of you. Go on Facebook and go to BFS recovery and ask to join the group. Many people there twitch for no reason or have had something that triggered it. The tests the neurologist will do will help to look for something. The twitches may just stop. I would suggest relaxing as much as possible. Use acetyl l carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. To amp up your immune system. Sometimes autoimmune responses can cause twitching and you need to strengthen your immune system. Iy may take few weeks on the supplements to help. Massage the calves and hot baths with Epsom salt.

• Posted

Reading the Internet has defiantly had my anxiety going the last few days.  From reading it has me of course thinking als to ms.  This caused me to do all strength test and everything.  I feel every twitch on my body now. I have Crohn’s disease so I know my body extremely well.  This is was a sudden onset.  No vaccines or illnesses in the last month. 
    • Posted

Since you have Crohn do you know if you may have celiac disease it can cause twitching. You have to watch your food with that.

Well the bad news is that it won't just stop. You have to go through all the regular tests like most who developed twitching suddenly. To rule out als you have to have a emg of leg arm paraspinals muscles and chin or tongue. The test will show whether the twitches are benign. Then MRI to rule out MS. I have had benign twitches since 2016. I was ill and as I was getting better they started. I looked online for what causes them then freaked out. I had 6 emg that first year. They were all normal. Be prepared to be sent for anxiety medication they do that to everyone. Please go on the facebook site I told you about it has many people going through the same thing. So it may help you not be as anxious. I woild like to tell you that its nothing but I dont know but I can tell you it is common for people to develop benign twitching for some reason and they never develop anything else. If you drink a lot of caffeine stop. I forgot to ask how old you are? I was more freaked when this started with me because I was 43 and most bad things show around 40. So if you are young that is very good.

• Posted

Plus the fact it was sudden onset may be good sign because it usually begins in one spot slowly progresses to another spot with weakness. Weakness is the sign but there are also many illnesses that.mimic so a thorough neurological workup needs to happen. Even lyme disease can cause all of those. So recent tick bites ?
    • Posted

I am only 28 years old and have severe anxiety since Friday night.  I am not diagnosed or perscribed.  I do not know if this morning I am so stressed but other things are starting to twitch.  Left calf. Shoulder blade chin and lip.  I’m just extremely stressed and now I feel like I’m having difficulty speaking as I am so conscious.  
    • Posted

Its called hypersensitivity or hyperawarness. It is common that once you get the anxiety from the fear that you feel the twitches everywhere. Please look up benign fasciculation syndrome. The facebook page is active but there are many online posts from a old website called BFS recovery. It may help you understand. I had mine everywhere at once. The doctors told me that that means I would be okay because it was all over. Though it didnt make me feel any better. I am better now it took 7 months for my symptoms to calm down plus anxiety medication. I still have twitches. Just not like I used too. I had them on my tongue back shoulder scapula abdomen hands pegs thighs buttock you name it I had them there. I had a.major meltdown so if you can get to a doctor and get some anxiety meds. Start with klonopin see if it improves your twitches by slowing or stopping them they say it can in some. Then get a long term medication like celexa or Elavil. That way you can come off the klonopin. Klonopin is habit forming after awhile. You will need it until you get the emg tests done. Hopefully they can tell you why yours started if not it will make your anxiety worse. It is a terrible situation to go through. I never had anxiety until this. So I was so upset. I couldn't believe stress and anxiety could cause such symptoms.

• Posted

Muscle spasms in the legs are quite common and usually present themselves in the calves, just below the back of the knee. Pain during a muscle spasm can range from mild to severe, and can last up to 10 minutes.

Poor circulation in the legs, high or low concentration of sodium or potassium, overexertion of muscles and some medication are among some of the reasons why leg muscle spasms occur. Eating a well-balance diet, keeping the body hydrated, stretching and elevating the feet at night may decrease muscle spasms.

Back muscle spasms many times are the result of inflammation or soreness of a particular muscle in the back due to sudden movement at an incorrect angle. Muscle spasms in the back are quite common, even over-straining the back muscles while completing household chores can cause spasms.

Muscle spasms in the shoulder commonly occur when the muscles are strained from overuse during exercise or sports activities. The shoulders are very susceptible to overuse especially when performing a repetitive action or reaching for high objects off high shelves. Poor posture while sleeping can also cause muscle spasms, which usually causes a sharp pain in the shoulder blade. Having neck muscle spasms in the neck can be the result of twisting the neck suddenly causing an over-stretching in the neck muscles leading to the inability to move the neck freely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.