Sudden Onset Urinary Retention (can't pee suddenly) has 8-10 causes, but rapid liquid intake ..

Posted , 2 users are following.

.. is not listed in the official lists.

However, in the Prostate Problems thread, there are posts mirroring my experience.  

Typically, we drank 20-48 oz. of liquids, in one sitting more less, at night (and I have Nocturia, which is not a disease).

Spicy foods is also not listed, but my uro and some health/medical sites also blame spicy foods.  I ate spicy foods that I knew I should have avoided, while drinking too much liquid.

Now, I've got a Foley and complications.  My bladder got stretched to 2 liters, and I hope its abilities will return after 1 month on a catheter.

Wish me luck!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you are looking at urinary retention which is non-obstructive, compression of cauda equina nerves S2/S3 is a likely cause.   I have a similar problem and I have found the more I walk over a hard surface, the higher the retention gets …. and more UTIs etc, etc. I have no back pain and suspect compression of nerves running down the side of sacral vertebrae.

Strongly suggest you find a uro-neurologist with knowledge of Cauda Equina Slow Onset with Retention ….

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.