Sudden pain and discomfort in my right side.

Posted , 5 users are following.

the night before last I was wokenby a sharp pain in my right side. Got up in pain felt dehydrated, so had some water and went back to sleep.

Woke up with my alarm for work got up felt a nagging pain in my right side but went to work anyway.

As the morning went on the pain got more annoying, until I panicked abot appendicititus nd called my doctor.

He said to see him that day, so I agreed to see him. (my boss was pretty annoyed but at this stage I was convinced there was something wrong.)

Annoyingly my doctor didn't seem to really know what was wrong and just left me more worried. He said the pain was too high up for appendicitis and wasn't sure what was causing it.

He said to call him if it got worse today or if it was still present tomorrow.

Went back to work but by this time I was feeling "flu-like" and tired.

Went it was break I decidced even if I had no appetite it wouldn't be a bad idea to eat. This was a massive mistake, I ended up feling bloated and sick. By this time the "fluy" feeling was unbareable, I managed to make it till the end of work.

As soon as I got home I went to sleep, woke up two hours later felt less "flu-like" but I felt horably swollen around the stomach,m side was in pain and my back hurt.

After a half hour I sat up and almost right away had to dash to the bathroom to vomit. Vomited pretty violently and felt the stabbing pain in my side again as I threw up.  

Afterwards I felt a lot better apart from still having a mild ache in my side.

I woke up this morning decided not to go to work but I've still got an ache in my side, have stayed in bed all day and have ben too scared to eat or drink.

I don't know what to do apart from leave it and see what happens.

Any advice from anyone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Can you recall what you ate the night before you woke up with the pain?....perhaps you ate something not agreeable to your difestive system...if it was not something you ate perhaps you have picked up a virus...If I were you I would stay home from work and res,t drink plenty of fluids as you do not want to dehydrate...and see if the symptoms subside and go away...also this would prevent anyone in contact with you picking up the virus if that is what you have...if you still have the symptoms after a week go back to your GP...obviously the pain and vomitting is occuring for a reason.....best wishes..

• Posted

hi jay - sorry you are poorly.

Firstly, our bodies are like vehicles; and they can work even if they are not working 100% ; so i don't want you to worry. however i do think this is something you need to follow up if you don't start to feel better.

Thirst; flu, swllen abdomen? and vomiting.  Could be anything from a food bug; to gall bladder issues, to kidney issues to allergy.

you need to sip some water and give it a few days; take some sick leave.

Thirst can be caused by all sorts of things; sugar levels and you need to think if you have felt ill before this..  Can anyone get you red grapes - they are anti-oxidant and can aid recovery. and perhaps a pro-biotic / yoghurt.

if you feel no better in 24 hours or the situation worsen again; go back to your GP.

• Posted

oh and jay; i think your boss needs a management course; because any GOOD & Capable boss, doesn't have to treat ill staff badly.
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice.

I have to apologise for all the mistyping/misspelling in that first post, looks like my kid wrote it.

I now feel a god bit better but I still feel like I'm carrying weight in my right side.

Guess I'm just worring myself that something is swollen up and for a reason.

Just got up had a bath etc and I'm going to risk something to eat.

Just annoyed that all my doctor could say is "I dunno,call me if you get worse"

• Posted

Hi Jay,

No probs!..I know what you mean about GP's and they are supposed to be the so-called 'professionals' ...give it a couple more days if you are not happy and feel you need a second opinion, under the 'Patients Charter' for UK you are entitled to a second opinion so ask your doc for an ultrasound scan if you still have the pain and feel that the area is swollen...go for it don't let them put you off keep at 'um!!!...hope you enjoy your meal and it stays down...best wishes...confused

• Posted

It sounds like a possible Kidney stone. ASK YOUR DR. did you resolve this issue?
  • Posted

I had something similar.    Pain across my upper abdomen and going into my chest and back, with nausea.  Up all night and couldn't get comfortable.   My GP arranged a blood test which revealed an infection, he also prescribed strong painkillers which helped. Opportunity to have antibiotics.    I suspect its a gall bladder problem but wish I could have an ultrascan and problem resolution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.