Sudden pain in shoulder and bicep

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had rotar cuff repair which I undestand from my OS was more complex due to longstanding degenerative issues. Like most everyone I experienced acute pain immediatly and for sometime following the op.

Pain became more manageable but I still experienced pain everyday and remain on Tramadol.

Spoke with OS couple of weeks ago who stated that given my op he was not surprised that I was stiil in some pain but from examination it was a good repair and that I may continue to have pain for1-11/2 years following surgery.

That's the background. I have been very careful so far as i realise that it is still early days, however today I forgot. I woke with severe pain in shoulder assumed I had rolled over onto it during the night. Took medication and felt a little better so tidied up and then hoovered. I have not used the big hoover since before my op. I don't know what I was thinking.

I am now experiencing very severe pain. Cannot have my bra strap on my shoulder. 

I am not really looking for answers but I am at work on my own and feel after everything that I have gone through I have probably damaged my RC.

I am feeling pretty devastated.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If the pain came on gradually you have probably aggravated the injury and it should settle. If there was sudden tearing pain then that would be more likely to have done some damage. Rotator cuff repair pain has good days and bad ones. I remember just sweeping witha straw broom would cause me more pain so vacuuming was probably not good for it. Now you have to rest and follow the surgeons advice. Pain relief, ice and rest?
    • Posted

Thanks for the reassurance sparkey. It does feeel slightly better today. I think I was so anxious as I have not had this sort of pain for sometime. I don't think I could have torn it in bed and the pain was not sudden. Will try to stay positive.

Thanks again.

• Posted

If there is one thing I've learned about recovery from Rc surgery, it takes time. Do what your therapist instructs you to do. Be patient. I am one year post, and still have pain with certain activities. Rest and ice as was stated in an earlier post. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.