Sudden patchy loss of hair

Posted , 3 users are following.

This happened with the past week or so, I hadn't noticed any bald spots so I'm wondering if I had an allergic reaction to the products used while I was getting hair done or this had developed sometime this week. Before she did my hair I had never noticed those patches, but after styling they are so evident I don't know how I could have ever missed them. My head has been itchy for the past few months but I always chalked it up to having a dry scalp, never had more hair loss than usual, and these thinning bald patches have appeared out of nowhere! No idea what it could be from, but would definitely appreciate insight before I go to a dermatologist to see if this could spread throughout my head. I also have maybe 1 or 2 more areas on my scalp that are very small thinning patches in my hair, but I believe those came from styling.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

Many people don't know they have alopecia areata until their hair stylist brings it to their attention. These spots can go unnoticed. And you can develop alopecia at any age. The way you are describing it does sound like AA, but I think you should definitely see a dermatologist who can tell you for sure.

Maybe you need to give your head/hair a break for awhile and stop with all the styling if you think that's what's causing the hair loss. If you start seeing a difference then you will know it's the styling products.

If it should be AA, usually a dermatologist can treat it and many people have regrowth with no other problems.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

I am on HRT and have been for about 18 months now. I did have a change of tablets as the pharmacy couldnt get my normal ones. My husband noticed a small bald patch on the top of my head as he was coming down the stairs, thankfully he told me & I got him to take a picture of it. I didnt panic, I was almost expecting something else to go wrong with my body while going through this hideous journey. Anyway, each month he would take a photo of my bald patch. It was definatly getting bigger. It reminded me of those monks you see with a perfect round patch that they shave off. At month 4 I was due to see my GP for a routine check. I showed her my photos & of course my head. She said it was Alopecia Areata & because I had had a change in my tablets that was what was causing it. Hormonal shifts as she put it can create havoc with womens systems. She said women are more prone to getting it exactly because of our hormones. She told me not to worry about it & that it would grow back. I am pleased to say that I have now had new growth back on this bald patch & its starting to look healthy again. I hope in 2 months I will be back to normal with a full head of nice thick hair. I do also believe that worrying & stressing about it would have made it worse. If you are worried then you should see your doctor, but if youre not, like me, it maybe worth just monitoring it for a while to see what is actually happening. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.